Advice on complaining neighbours

Options

Comments

• Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,039 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 16 March 2017 at 10:37PM
    Options
    Some people just complain for the sake of it, or because they think there may be a bob or two in it for them. Our next door neighbour's house was on the market during the time we had our garden landscaped. Yes, the stone cutter was noisy, but the whole job only took 5 (week)days and the boys were only there from 9am to 4pm. Our neighbours later told us that they had rejected a stupidly low offer on their house - because the would-be buyers had noted the 'noisy neighbours' and had reduced their offer 'accordingly'.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    But the OP isn't suggesting work is going on at those times,

I know but d0nkeyk0ng was suggesting that 7 am to 11 pm was reasonable.
    nor are they doing work that involves planning permission, so far as I can tell.

Possibly not, but the conditions on my planning permission illustrate what hours the local council (mine at least) regard as reasonable for noisy work.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    ..... the conditions on my planning permission illustrate what hours the local council (mine at least) regard as reasonable for noisy work.
    Yes, but did they do this on the assumption that the work would be done by contractors?

A family member had the same sort of problem, but was able to successfully challenge it, because he was doing the work himself and weekends were the only times he could do it.

I think there was still a restriction imposed, but it was a more lenient one. It was recognised that if he'd complied, the work would have gone on much longer. There has to be a trade-off between the inconvenience of noise and other considerations, including mess, scaffolding etc.
  • Crinkmeister
    Options
    Most neighbourhoods have a miserable old git who has nothing better to do than moan about everything. We have one near us...:mad:
  • robotrobo
    robotrobo Posts: 921 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ive even worked on our neighbours (who we think has made the complaint) car replacing a turbo on it.

dont forget to tighten the wheel nuts next time will you!:)
  • DominicH
    DominicH Posts: 288 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Local councils can only issue recommendations about DIY noise, rather than actual rules, but here is a typical one:

What are considered to be reasonable times for DIY work?

In terms of a householder who is doing the work themselves we would usually recommend that the noisier activities are restricted to the following working hours:

• Mon – Fri - 9.00am to 7.30pm.
    • Saturdays – 9.00am to 5.00pm
    • Sunday and Bank Holiday – 10.00am – 2.00pm

Please note these times are not legal limits, but are suggested as a sensible approach.

https://www.charnwood.gov.uk/files/documents/noise_from_diy_work_fact_sheet/Noise%20from%20DIY%20Work%20-%20Advice%20Factsheet.pdf
    "Einstein never said most of the things attributed to him" - Mark Twain
  • maisie_cat
    maisie_cat Posts: 2,071 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Academoney Grad First Post
    Options
    Most neighbourhoods have a miserable old git who has nothing better to do than moan about everything. We have one near us...:mad:

I was planing a door at 11am on a Thursday a few months ago and the neighbour threatened to go to the council. I think he was annoyed because a builder was cutting roof tiles with an angle grinder across the road. I'm a women and I think a builder would have told him where to go so he came after me.
    He on the other hand has a dog and a lawn mowing obsession for an hour every other day. When I challenged him about his noise versus ours he claimed that "domestic noise" is allowed but DIY is not domestic or some such nonsense. People do have funny ideas about their own entitlement to quiet enjoyment versus others.
    I did some research after that and our council is not interested in noise issues in the daytime unless they go on for an extended period and they are above the ambient noise.
  • Crinkmeister
    Options
    @maisie cat I can't imagine planing a door is going to be very loud - unless your electric planer is powered by a steam engine!! :rotfl:
  • pimento
    pimento Posts: 6,243 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    robotrobo wrote: »
    Ive even worked on our neighbours (who we think has made the complaint) car replacing a turbo on it.

Ask him if he was the one who complained and if he says 'yes' say that if there's a next time, he should speak to you first because you don't want to be a bad neighbour or fall out with him.

That should take the wind out of his sails.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
  • maisie_cat
    maisie_cat Posts: 2,071 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Academoney Grad First Post
    Options
    @maisie cat I can't imagine planing a door is going to be very loud - unless your electric planer is powered by a steam engine!! :rotfl:
    I was outside rather than in the shed because the door was too heavy to carry right down the garden. It did prompt me to check relative decibel levels of power tools, lawnmowers etc and there is not a lot of difference really. Like the OP, I was more annoyed that I've helped the guy in the past. I've loaned him loads of power tools & must have saved him a fortune not having to hire stuff. No good deed goes unpunished!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure