ISP Censorship

Options
1234568»

Comments

• DiamondLil
    DiamondLil Posts: 651 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    To all those who post on this thread I thank you; I'm following avidly and learning a lot.
    This topic is important to me and anyone else who values the freedoms we have become accustomed to.
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    When the BBC gave Sky Formula 1 they took the sport away from me forever. The nature of the sport is such that I needed to watch it live and what I enjoyed was the fact that anything could happen and it probably would. I saw this as a betrayal by the BBC and more monopolistic practices by Sky.

BBC were required to save money, and couldn't justify the cost of F1. They gave it to C4 AND Sky.

There is NO LOSS of custom because nobody who takes such content was ever in the market to buy the product because it had been priced out of their market

If you wrote a book, and I managed to get a PDF of it for free, would you be happy enough for me to read it without paying?
  • DavidP24
    DavidP24 Posts: 957 Forumite
    Options
    almillar wrote: »
    BBC were required to save money, and couldn't justify the cost of F1. They gave it to C4 AND Sky.

Heard it all before, excuses, sold fans out which is why I hate BBC now. Nothing you or anyone else says is going to change the way I feel, you have your opinion and are entitled to it, as am I.

BBC spent a billion pounds on a new office, Google makes $30bn a year they would not waste a billion on an office. BBC wasted fortune on new carpet a year later, they needed something more creative.

BBC IT Contractors are paid way over the odds, about double what some public sector organisations pay for same skills.

They are fat and top heavy.

They suffer from OPM, spending other people's money.
    There is NO LOSS of custom because nobody who takes such content was ever in the market to buy the product because it had been priced out of their market

If you wrote a book, and I managed to get a PDF of it for free, would you be happy enough for me to read it without paying?

If I priced my book badly and you could not afford it I would have no problem with you to reading it without paying, as long as you told your friends what a fantastic read it was.

I help loads of people, sometimes they can't afford it, sometimes they do not really want to pay, it call comes back in good Karma.
    Thanks, don't you just hate people with sigs !
  • The_all_new_me_2
    Options
    It was reported in The Standard that Google's new offices in King Cross cost more than a £Billion. They have far fewer employees to accomodate than the BBC.
  • DavidP24
    DavidP24 Posts: 957 Forumite
    Options
    It was reported in The Standard that Google's new offices in King Cross cost more than a £Billion. They have far fewer employees to accomodate than the BBC.

I stand corrected! Google DID spend a billion dollars but you are mistaken about the staff number, Google will house 5000 in one office on the site, the BBC of course had 145 acres!!
    DavidP24 wrote: »
    QZ wrote: »
    The 1-million-sq-ft (93,000 sq m) office will sit on 2.4 acres (1 hectare) of land between Kings Cross and St Pancras stations. When the deal was announced in January, it was one of the biggest ever commercial property acquisitions in Britain. Reuters reports Google will spend £650 million ($1.05 billion) to buy and develop the site, with an eventual worth of £1 billion.
    https://qz.com/139794/inside-googles-new-1-million-square-foot-london-office-three-years-before-its-ready/

I guess the difference is that Google does not rely on handouts enforced by Crapita Goons who lie their way into homes, even entering when only a minor is present,

Google is building something very different and it can, because it makes the money and does not rely on handouts (just prudential use of Tax avoidance)

The day the BBC is funded by subscription and sales of it's library will be the day I salute it and do not give a damn about what it spends.

Something tells me that the BBC did not make a profit or even break even on the whole property project for the 145 acre site.

http://www.homesandproperty.co.uk/property-news/buying/new-homes/5000-new-bbc-tv-centre-and-white-city-homes-go-on-sale-creating-londons-biggest-new-neighbourhood-49301.html

The national audit office certainly thinks the BBC is spending 300% more than it should be in running costs.
    DavidP24 wrote: »
    The BBC's new £1 billion headquarters cost £13,000 for every member of staff to run, three times more than similar commercial buildings.

A damning report by the National Audit Office found that the corporation's new headquarters cost £89 million a year to run, equivalent to a third of the corporation's running costs.

Margaret Hodge, chairman of the Public Accounts Committee, said that the figure appeared to be "ridiculously" high and called on the BBC to explain itself.

The National Audit Office said that the BBC needs to make "better use of space to achieve value for money" after it found that building's running costs dwarf those of the rest of the corporation.

It found that Broadcasting House cost three times more than similar UK properties to run and 49 per cent more than similar properties in London

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/bbc/11360071/BBCs-headquarters-cost-13000-for-every-member-of-staff-to-run.html

For me the BBC is a lost opportunity, the one thing that most TV companies lack is content, they have to build new content. The BBC however has the ability to put it's entire library online and sell it around the world. It could stop giving it away for a song to Sky and become a force in TV around the world.

It could also make more popular TV, in the US they love Luther, but they make hardly any episodes.

The management at the BBC are a joke, just look at the Bake Off debacle, to not put restrictions in the contract was incompetence in my opinion. Top Gear, F1 et al, just a few more examples.

I could go on, suffice to say they suffer from the same disease you see in all kinds of public sector organisations, except most of those are now suffering under austerity but the BBC does not blink and eye.

The problem is that Turkeys do not vote for Christmas, so like the NHS which is also top heavy with management, they will throw the real staff under the bus rather than make themselves redundant.
    Thanks, don't you just hate people with sigs !
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Why don't you try the APK method for firestick ?

but first get the apk file for whatever vpn for firestick you have chosen and then follow the steps below:
    1. Run your FireStick device.
    2. From the main menu, click on the search option and type “Downloader”.
    3. Download and Install the Downloader App.
    4. Once installed, Open the application.
    5. Type the download URL of the APK file of your desired Fire TV VPN.
    6. Install the app after the downloading completes.
    7. After installing the application run the app and login to your PureVPN account.
    8. Connect to the server that you want and enjoy a secure connection on FireStick as you stream.

I take it you didn't see the the thread was last replied too last year but you must have known that as you must have searched for it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure