PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Writing a will

Options
13»

Comments

• davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    MEM62 wrote: »
    Really? If you have a high LTV then a mortgage underwriter may want some assurance that they are not going to be looking at a loss should something happen.

I would understand that if there was a ban on forcing you to take their insurance but asking you to have adequate cover with a provider if there is a perceived high risk to underwriting the mortgage is surely not unreasonable.
    Yes, but does it actually happen? It's been ages since I've heard of anyone being required to put life cover in place for a mortgage.
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,780 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    davidmcn wrote: »
    Yes, but does it actually happen? It's been ages since I've heard of anyone being required to put life cover in place for a mortgage.
    It hasn't been a requirement for years on a residential mortgage.

I'd say mid-90s if I was pushed.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • ThePants999
    ThePants999 Posts: 1,748 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Agree in your situation you don't need life insurance, but you might to wise to look at critical illness cover so you dont find yourself being in the position of being unable to work and unable to pay the mortgage.
    If paying the mortgage is the concern, income protection is surely the right product rather than critical illness cover.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure