We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Red lily beetle

Options
pjran
pjran Posts: 1,904 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
I love lilies but last year mine were eaten by the blessed lily beetles. I did pick off the ones I could see but there was so much damage they never flowered. You'ld think I would have learned a lesson from previous experience but I haven't! I've ordered loads from J Parkers an offer I couldn't resist which are due any day.

Please can you give me some advice on how to see all my new ones flower. In true money saving I would like a simple home remedy to clear the red beetles.

Comments

• DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You can keep fine netting over pots until plants are ready to flower. Some sprays can help. Use clean new soil each year and, if you are male and colourblind, allow spotting and crushing duties to fall to your better half! ;)

I don't have a good solution really.
  • Alfrescodave
    Options
    We had a similar problem and I used Provado Ultimate Bug killer - not an action that everyone might agree to do .........but it did solve the problem
  • Eenymeeny
    Eenymeeny Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I had the same problem last year. I've moved them into pots on the patio this year and have the above recommended bug killer ready for use!
    They looked pretty grotty for a long time after flowering last summer so I'm thinking that I can move them to a secluded part of the garden to die down this year.
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    :A:beer:
    Please and Thank You are the magic words;)
  • madjackslam
    Options
    Grow in pots and do a (if possible) daily check, particularly early morning I find good. If you see beetles on leaves, hold one hand beneath them, then knock them off with the other hand - if they fall to the ground they turn upside down for a bit and can be difficult to find. Then squash them. Check under the leaves for any eggs laid, and then for the larvae. These are disgusting as they hide in their own faeces. But wipe them off, chuck them on the ground (patio slabs are good) and squash them.
    Vigilance is your watchword!
  • ljonski
    ljonski Posts: 3,337 Forumite
    Options
    It is the larvae that do the real damage. everyday look for them, and squeeze in between your fingers. Sometimes you can get 2 at once when copulating. When born search for brown slime and drown.
    "if the state cannot find within itself a place for those who peacefully refuse to worship at its temples, then it’s the state that’s become extreme".Revd Dr Giles Fraser on Radio 4 2017
  • malebolge
    malebolge Posts: 500 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 15 March 2017 at 3:23PM
    Options
    I'm not a huge lover of pesticides, but I have used Provado, which Alfrescodave recommended after 3 beautiful tree lilies were reduced to sludge by the damned larvae. I grow in tubs but still am plagued by the little red devils.
    2 points to remember - firstly, don't use a pesticide when the lilies are in flower because it might kill good pollinating insects.
    Also, lilies are very poisonous to cats. I only have them at the front garden now, as I have a ragdoll cat, and never have cut lilies in the house.
    Finally, the RHS are compiling information on lily beetles, and have a short form that you can report sightings of them: http://apps.rhs.org.uk/surveys/submitrecord.asp?type=6
  • Justagardener
    Options
    A little known fact: Lily beetles squeak quite loudly when under stress...so some gardeners find it quite difficult to squash them ! They are easy to capture or scrape into a jar and release in an unpopulated area.
  • chesky
    chesky Posts: 1,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The good thing about lily beetles is that they're such a bright red, you can't fail to see them on the leaves. Follow Madjack's advice and check daily.
  • pjran
    pjran Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thank you to all who replied.

32 planted in various pots, only 8 to find homes for now. I'm hoping someone can suggest a homemade solution to kill these little blighters if not I will buy the Provado bug spray.
  • madjackslam
    Options
    A little known fact: Lily beetles squeak quite loudly when under stress...so some gardeners find it quite difficult to squash them ! They are easy to capture or scrape into a jar and release in an unpopulated area.

I've squashed a lot of lily beetles and I've never heard them make a noise - maybe we have a non-squeaking strain round here. ***Thinks about torturing the next lily beetle to see if it will make a noise. Tempting, but decides against it.***
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure