Top credit score - refused credit for being honest!

Options
I recently applied for a new mortgage and it was refused.

I eventually discovered that the problem was caused by the fact that I pay off my credit card bill in full each month. On the application I was asked for my credit card balance, and gave the balance as it was on the date of the application (at the beginning of March). The credit reference agency refused my application because they said some of my information didn't agree with what they had on file - they were using my balance as it was at the end of January, when of course it was much higher due to all the Christmas bills.

When I revised my application and entered the exact same credit card balance as the agency had on its files, the application was approved and I got my mortgage. Whaaat??? So I can only get credit if I tell lies and say I owe more than I actually do??? :mad:

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    That doesn't make any sense.

The CRA doesn't accept or refuse credit applications. The lender does that, based on the information on your files.
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    Options
    This is somewhat improbable. I believe the reason for the initial decline was something different.
  • glosoli
    glosoli Posts: 739 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Cannot be right,

I cannot remember the last time I took a customer through a mortgage interview, and the credit card balance provided matched what was on their credit report (which can be between 4 to 8 weeks old). It is clearly not a case of dishonesty (or being too honest).

If a credit card balance shows on the credit report, and they pay it off in full every month, we either work the minimum payment into expenditure or ask for evidence its cleared every month.

I cannot see how this could have resulted in a decline decision to be honest.
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You must be misunderstanding the situation. Who did you apply through, the CRA do not give mortgages, loans, credit cards, or credit of any shape or form.
    Can't be a full application as two applications to same company within a short space of time would surely flag suspicion if you manipulated your data.
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    Options
    The credit reference agency refused my application because they said some of my information didn't agree with what they had on file - they were using my balance as it was at the end of January, when of course it was much higher due to all the Christmas bills.
    Is it possible that it was some other information which disagreed and this is nothing to do with the credit card balance at all?
    Credit reference agencies do not approve or decline mortgage applications. The lender obtains information from the credit reference agencies which assist them in making their decision.
    One possibility is that those Christmas bills were a lot larger than normal and the credit files were still showing a MASSIVE balance when the OP had claimed a very small one, but surely even that would not lead to an instant decline of a mortgage application if the credit files showed a history of full repayment and the OP had provided some evidence that it had been paid.
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,799 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    We specifically ask for the highest balance in the last three months to counteract the possible lags in the system and the lender seeing out of date data.

If the highest balance was £5,000 and it is always repaid in full each month and the balance will be £0 at completion, we enter £5,000 to be repaid on or before completion.

All the lender cares about is the impact of card debt on affordability. If there is £0 balance, there is no impact.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • ashp_2
    ashp_2 Posts: 416 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Our mortgage advisor told us it's best to put the balances currently showing on our credit files on the mortgage application. I think that is the best way to go about it for the lenders really. If you say you have 0 on a credit card but your report shows 5k they are going to be suspicious and decline.
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,799 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    ashp wrote: »
    Our mortgage advisor told us it's best to put the balances currently showing on our credit files on the mortgage application. I think that is the best way to go about it for the lenders really. If you say you have 0 on a credit card but your report shows 5k they are going to be suspicious and decline.
    You don't know if the lender is seeing the data you can see on your credit file. It could be seeing out of date information because the data taken by the lender is only updated once a month.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • GingerBob_3
    GingerBob_3 Posts: 3,659 Forumite
    Options
    Dose anyone actually get mortgages these days? It seems to me that providers will blow you out for the slightest thing; not paying a CC in full, minor gambling transactions, spending too much at the hairdressers, etc, etc.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I recently applied for a new mortgage and it was refused.

I eventually discovered that the problem was caused by the fact that I pay off my credit card bill in full each month. On the application I was asked for my credit card balance, and gave the balance as it was on the date of the application (at the beginning of March). The credit reference agency refused my application because they said some of my information didn't agree with what they had on file - they were using my balance as it was at the end of January, when of course it was much higher due to all the Christmas bills.

When I revised my application and entered the exact same credit card balance as the agency had on its files, the application was approved and I got my mortgage. Whaaat??? So I can only get credit if I tell lies and say I owe more than I actually do??? :mad:

Which credit ref agency is it who refused you the mortgage ?

Was it the same agency who give you a top score ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure