🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Best ways to pay off Help 2 Buy equity loans?

Options
124»

Comments

• Gspree
    Gspree Posts: 25 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Are there any fees when paying back the HTB loan as two separate 10% chunks rather than the full 20% at once?
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Gspree wrote: »
    Are there any fees when paying back the HTB loan as two separate 10% chunks rather than the full 20% at once?
    You can find out about the process and the costs here;-

https://www.myfirsthome.org.uk/

I think it's more than likely the costs involved in "staircasing" will be doubled compared to "redeeming" as they will be incurred twice.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • wizkh7n
    Options
    Has anyone here gone past thier 5 years HTB? And what route did you take post 5 years
  • kendizle
    Options
    Read some great advice on here. Some confusing, such as "Staircasing". I originally thought the 10% meant I could pay 10% of the 20% loan.

Stuck now with thinking what to do with the money I have saved to repay the 20% equity loan. Nearly at 10% after 18 months of saving. Feeling I should reduce my saving and start over paying too.

Anyone have any experiences of doing this?

Thanks
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,805 Forumite
    Options
    Staircasing is the term used to describe the purchase of further shares in a shared ownership property and it has also been adopted for the gradual repayment of a shared equity or Help To Buy Equity Loan.

If you haven't already done so, please look at the post-sales HTB Agent's website for further information;-

https://www.myfirsthome.org.uk/
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • kendizle
    Options
    After reading this thread I have decided to do both, overpay and continue to save to repay the equity loan at the end of the five year period.

The fees and charges for stair-casing made me think, is it a good move making a double payment for this? Also I'd need to weight this against the increased property value across the second period.

Ive decided to take half of what I was saving for the equity loan, and pay that off the mortgage, because let's face it, 2.5% on my savings account is not making me much money on £400 a month, whereas £200 monthly over-payment is going to save me £8k+ interest on my mortgage and reduce by about 7 years.

Has anyone else considered the same? Have I made the right decision?

Time will tell I guess.
  • amnblog
    amnblog Posts: 12,480 Forumite
    Options
    The benefits or otherwise of paying off your equity loan will be different for each individual and will depend on a number of factors including:

How the property value has moved
    Where it might be going in the near future
    If lending is being raised to pay off the equity loan
    If it is, the rates available to the purchaser

Of these the value is the key factor.

If values are rising quickly it will be expensive not to purchase as soon as possible as the cost of acquisition is increasing.

If values are dropping, buying out the equity is not smart as you pick up an extra 20% of the risk on the loss.

If values are static the key issue is the cost of the solution to buy out the equity loan v the cost of the equity loan.

Of course, for some householders, buying out the equity loan allows them a level of freedom with regard to letting, other purchases, alterations, or extension, that are the priority.
    I am a Mortgage Broker

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport