How Long Before Universal Credit Sends Award Letter?

Options
I applied for Universal Credit on the 1st of February and was told during the application process that I would receive the first payment on the 15th March. I was expecting to get an award letter from them by now, does anyone know how long it usually takes?
I am worried because after I went for the initial interview I got a letter from them saying that I had to produce evidence to support my claim, but when I phoned to find out what they wanted, they said that it was computer generated and everything was in order. I am wondering if thay might have closed my claim by mistake.

Comments

• pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,050 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    csnann wrote: »
    I applied for Universal Credit on the 1st of February and was told during the application process that I would receive the first payment on the 15th March. I was expecting to get an award letter from them by now, does anyone know how long it usually takes?
    I am worried because after I went for the initial interview I got a letter from them saying that I had to produce evidence to support my claim, but when I phoned to find out what they wanted, they said that it was computer generated and everything was in order. I am wondering if thay might have closed my claim by mistake.

The only way you are going to find out is to ring them.
  • Mersey_2
    Mersey_2 Posts: 1,679 Forumite
    Options
    The DWP do not send UC award letters (as they do with JSA etc).

Sadly even some JCP staff are unaware of this (as they don't administer UC claims in the same way they do JSA claims).

But, if you don't receive a payment tomorrow, give the national UC contact centre a call and ask them to check whether the claim is all set up etc - ad ask them to open a complaint if it isn't, as unfortunately there are many errors with UC claims at this initial stage.

You will receive a letter each month detailing the payment due in future though (and this will be the case even if you begin work).
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
  • silverchoice
    Options
    The problem is if you claim for Council Tax reduction from the council they ask for a copy of the Universal Credit award letter !!!

I'm still waiting for mine despite receiving money from 18th June.
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    It's my understanding and experience that UC don't send letters at all, rather a monthly 'statement' is created on your online portal? I didn't think any physical paperwork was produced.

For your CTR claim you can print this statement off the internet, usually you can do that at the council office.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure