PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Unfair Lease Extension Offer

Options
13»

Comments

• always_sunny
    always_sunny Posts: 8,314 Forumite
    Options
    tomryan89 wrote: »
    Going the formal route so that when someone buys it they don't need to wait two years is certainly an option and I am definitely not ruling it out but I would need to discuss with the buyer.

The only thing stopping me from doing this right now is that it's a one bedroom flat which means a buyer will probably be a first time buyer. Any thing that makes them nervous, like an ongoing lease extension process, is bound to make them more nervous than other experienced buyers. Hence why I'm trying to avoid it.

Why do you need to discuss with the buyer?
    Extending the lease will need to be done (unless there's a change in legislation in the near future, but highly improbable) so whoever buys the flat will need to eventually extending and it will only get more expensive. An informal extension is likely to be less advantageous of formal.

A 1BR could be bought by a FTB, an investor, a downsizing couple, etc but when buying a LH property the first questions asked are:
    - How many years left on the lease
    - how much is GR
    - how much is Service Charge

Unless you're financially constrained (fair enough), starting the process to extend it's going to work at your benefit.
    EU expat working in London
  • tomryan89
    tomryan89 Posts: 44 Forumite
    Options
    Starting to sound like the formal route is the best way forward. I'll see what the surveyor comes back with and speak to the estate agents about dropping the price to reflect.

My only other questions right now being - what would a bank / mortgage lender thing about this?

(Also, the reason we have managed to get an offer accepted on a house is because the sellers have not found anywhere they would like to buy yet and don't fancy being pressured or moving into rented accommodation - a stroke of pure luck that one)
  • DOZYMARE
    DOZYMARE Posts: 82 Forumite
    Options
    Hello tomryan89
    just wondered how you got on with this? Its been over a year now and we are just about to do the same as you with Pier Management and just wanted to go in armed so to speak!
  • strawberries1
    Options
    Hi OP, please update us. How did it go?
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    OP hasn't been on this site for 9 months
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories