Two cables from satellite to one TV port

Options
2»

Comments

• rhyshatwell
    Options
    Hello all,
    I have recently moved into my first home. whilst trying to set up the television there is no standard aerial cable, there is only a dual cable which I believe is to be linked to the satellite dish. I have read above regarding the sky box and believe this is the case.
    Is there anything anyone can recommend as to how I can connect these cables to my television without having to sign up to sky or virgin etc. and what the cost would likely be?
    I have looked online at the "Freesat" boxes and looking on the back of them they only have 1 aerial input and not two.
    Please help!!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Is there anything anyone can recommend as to how I can connect these cables to my television without having to sign up to sky or virgin etc.
    The shotgun cable will likely be connected to a satellite dish. If this is the case, you can buy a Freesat decoder which will give you a similar bouquet of channels as Freeview, The cables connect to the decoder and the decoder in turn to your TV set. First thing to do is establish whether you have an operational satellite dish. The shotgun is for dual feed recording decoders which have two connections.

For costs see;
    https://www.freesat.co.uk
  • rhyshatwell
    Options
    Thank you for the quick reply,

How would I be able to check if the cables/satellite still work? will I have to buy a freesat first and test it out?
    I have looked around the house and I cannot seem to find the standard aerial cable anywhere.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options

How would I be able to check if the cables/satellite still work? will I have to buy a freesat first and test it out?
    Well, first thing to do is check if there is actually a dish installed somewhere on your house!

You would then need to check if it's operational, you could pay an installer to do this or perhaps borrow a decoder from a friend or neighbour? You'd only need it for minutes to check.

Personally, I'd take a calculated risk and buy the decoder. There is very little that can go wrong with a dish other than misalignment unless it is very very old. You can always return the decoder as unsuitable if bought from the likes of Argos etc. if it doesn't work.
  • rhyshatwell
    Options
    Thank you very much for you help
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills