PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Built in cooker just gone bang

Options

Comments

• TadleyBaggie
    TadleyBaggie Posts: 6,056 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You can pay for the micro chips with the money not being spent on oven chips...
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Ours also has a safety feature that you have to reset the clock in order for the oven to work after power has been cut.

Does your microwave have a grill feature you could use if it is the element? Or could you ask a neighbour if things get really desperate. Good idea about waffles in the toaster too.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If the hob is still working, oven chips can be cooked in a frying pan.

Son needs to learn that you can't always have the food you like, the way you like it - and will have to eat things either differently, or not at all and choose something achievable.

When you're on the spectrum you have to spend your life working round problems and issues - set this one as the challenge of the week to solve... "what to eat instead of ..."
  • Vodkalass75
    Options
    If the hob is still working, oven chips can be cooked in a frying pan.

Son needs to learn that you can't always have the food you like, the way you like it - and will have to eat things either differently, or not at all and choose something achievable.

When you're on the spectrum you have to spend your life working round problems and issues - set this one as the challenge of the week to solve... "what to eat instead of ..."
    If you knew where abouts my son is on the spectrum you would know that doesn't work. He has had an issue with food since he was small, I have learnt over the years that he would go hungry for days, anything that passes his lips that he doesn't like he will throw up. He is underweight as it is we have had dieticians working with us & never got anywhere. His take on food is so complex that the meltdowns & anxieties around food are unbearable. He is 15 so I have spent years on this:(
    Reckon she wants the money for vodka:rotfl:

:rotfl::beer::rotfl:
    You can toast potato waffles if you get desperate. Handy tip I learnt in my student days :)
    Thanks for that tip :beer:

TBH I only wanted to see if I could use that as an incentive to get them moving, they are useless as letting agents, still have a back door to the garage that hasn't been fixed for 6 months, smoke arlarms that don't work. The enviromental health have been involved & she even sweet talked them:eek: My tenancy ends in 4 weeks & I can just imagine them stalling because I know the kitchen will be ripped out for a refurb before he sells it. I had reset the clock before I posted on here.
  • jbainbridge
    jbainbridge Posts: 2,014 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If the fan on the oven is still working as you say, it does sound like the element has gone. Not a big job to replace and elements cost £10-20.
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,843 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    If you have the space and can afford £30-40, you could invest in a mini oven as a backup - we have one which we regualrly use to cook small items as it heats up more quickly than the main oven and is more efficient.

Our local LIDL had one this week for (I think) £29.99 - this is the sort of thing I'm talking about
    http://www.argos.co.uk/product/2417880
  • Bogalot
    Bogalot Posts: 1,102 Forumite
    Options
    p00hsticks wrote: »
    If you have the space and can afford £30-40, you could invest in a mini oven as a backup - we have one which we regualrly use to cook small items as it heats up more quickly than the main oven and is more efficient.

Our local LIDL had one this week for (I think) £29.99 - this is the sort of thing I'm talking about
    http://www.argos.co.uk/product/2417880

Plus OP can take it with them as a back up for future issues. Winning idea ;)

(Although I'm going to test the potato waffles in the toaster!)
  • steeeb
    steeeb Posts: 373 Forumite
    edited 14 March 2017 at 12:23PM
    Options
    I bought a replacement heating element for like £5 off eBay when this same thing happened to me (I think it was the heating element breaking which tripped the electrics).

Google search how to replace it.

For mine, it involved turning off the electric. Undoing 2 screws keeping the oven in the unit, putting a workbench in front of it, pulling oven out (get someone to help). Undoing 2 screws, pulling off back panel. Undoing another screw, unplugging heating element, plugging new one in, doing screws again.

Turned electric to oven back on to test it worked. It did. Put oven back in unit last few screws.

Took 10-15 minutes, being cautious.

If you've got a local appliance shop that do repairs you'll likely find someone for 50-70 to do it for you.

The fan ended up going 5-6 months later. Again, the part was like £10 off ebay but it was a bigger job to replace as getting the fan off in the first place was a bit of a PITA. Again, I managed it easily though and saved £££s.

Some elements can even be changed by just undoing the internal panel covering it - if so it's a 2 minute job - no need to get the oven out and take the back panel off.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,323 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 14 March 2017 at 4:11PM
    Options
    With two autistic sons who would rather not eat than eat what they aren't into at the time, I totally sympathise. Remember the problems well.

I have a 10 year old and a 20 year old, both diagnosed. The 20 year old will now eat normally and almost anything although will still suddenly decide something is off the acceptable list.

My younger son is very restricted as to what he will eat.., and will go hungry willingly if its not something on his list.

I still remember the days when older son was 8, and wouldn't eat anything but shop bought sandwiches.., even if I packaged up sandwiches, they wouldn't do. Was on income support (took nearly a year to get DLA) so was my daily nightmare affording them. I lived on toast, literally.
  • freeisgood
    freeisgood Posts: 549 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    OP those combi micro ovens are brill...it is all I have ever used as much more efficient than a main oven.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure