Forum Home» Credit Cards

Pre approved for card but decision referred.

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Pre approved for card but decision referred.

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Credit Cards
10 replies 3.7K views
A4445A4445 Forumite
1.1K posts
edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Credit Cards
I completed a soft search and it said I was pre approved for a new credit card. I applied and they made an offer of what the APR would be and if I wanted to proceed to sign and click submit.

I then got a message we can't make a decision now, this seems odd as I was pre approved. Maybe it's because I applied late on a Saturday night?

Any ideas what's up, or have a similar experience?

Replies

• TheShapeTheShape Forumite
    1.7K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    From my experience of applying for current accounts, I found that applications at the weekend were often met with a 'we're checking you're application and will let you know' or similar.

HBOS appear to make instant decisions on the weekends (both positive and negative).

Who was the application with?
  • CakeCrusaderCakeCrusader Forumite
    1.1K posts
    ✭✭✭
    I had similar when I did a balance transfer at the start of the year. It gave me details of the APR etc, but it said they'd get in touch. They called about 4 days after I'd applied to double check my details, and I received the card a few days later :)
  • A4445A4445 Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Thanks for the replies, I guess I will have to wait and see what happens. If your pre approved can they still decline an application? It would seem misleading if they did?
  • CakeCrusaderCakeCrusader Forumite
    1.1K posts
    ✭✭✭
    A4445 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies, I guess I will have to wait and see what happens. If your pre approved can they still decline an application? It would seem misleading if they did?

Pre-approved doesn't mean much I don't think, just that you meet certain criteria, and they can still turn you down if you don't pass their credit check. You're better off waiting as another search will leave another footprint, so I wouldn't apply for another until you've heard back from them.
  • YorkshireBoyYorkshireBoy Forumite
    31.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A4445 wrote: »
    Yes "they" can, and do (whoever "they" are in your case...in mine it was FD a few years ago).
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • A4445A4445 Forumite
    1.1K posts
    I'm not going to apply for another, I will just wait and see. I've had plenty of applications referred in the past and they have always been approved.

They have said I will know shortly either by email or Post. I guess it's gone to the underwriters.

It's a bit misleading if pre approved could be a decline. I appreciate they need to do fraud and ID checks but don't belive I have any issues.
  • SuperscroogeSuperscrooge Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    The term 'pre-approved' is becoming increasingly meaningless.

I recently received a letter through the post from AA credit cards telling me I'd been 'pre-approved to apply' (whatever they mean by that!) for their 0% purchases card.

As my current 0% purchases card deal is about to expire it seemed good timing so I applied.
    Result - Instant rejection!
  • A4445A4445 Forumite
    1.1K posts
    I called today to get an update. The guy said it's with the underwriters who are doing final checks and the card will be issued shortly. So I guess the application is going ok :)
  • SystemSystem
    177.8K posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    TheShape wrote: »
    From my experience of applying for current accounts, I found that applications at the weekend were often met with a 'we're checking you're application and will let you know' or similar.

HBOS appear to make instant decisions on the weekends (both positive and negative).

Who was the application with?

Who are HBOS? Is this a new issuer?
  • Gavoo7Gavoo7 Forumite
    14 posts
    Halifax Bank of Scotland
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support