Windows Vista support ends in a month:11 April 2017

Options

Comments

• NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    Options
    EdGasket wrote: »
    I checked my BIOS and it is at level AO7 which is the latest available from Dell so presumably I don't want to be running that A02 BIOS file in your link?

Also Firefox won't download the Windows image; says its too big?

Use the Opera Next or Chrome browser for downloading media.

Download, save and run(right click and choose 'Run As Administrator') this software on the PC and post me(via PM) a screenshot of the Advanced Tab screen.

Will look like this:

5286.jpg

To post a screenshot, you have to hit the Print Screen key, then click on the Paste tab in the Paint application. Then Save, upload to http://www.postimage.org/ and then paste the Direct Link in a reply
  • EdGasket
    EdGasket Posts: 3,503 Forumite
    edited 29 March 2017 at 1:29PM
    Options
    I used Chrome and it got to 75% downloaded then this 'Mega' thing pops up and wants me to create an account? I can't get past it; looks like some kinda scam software. The Mega thing is saying I am over quota for my IP address?

OK scratch the above; I created an account and got the remaining 25%. Will look into the bios thing after lunch thanks
  • EdGasket
    Options
    Ref Bios, The SLIC Dump advanced tab says: Status: Dump OK! (DELLB9K_V2.1)

Is that OK?
  • NiftyDigits
    Options
    Ref Bios, The SLIC Dump advanced tab says: Status: Dump OK! (DELLB9K_V2.1)

Is that OK?

Indeed it is.

Now all you need to do is to use my media to run a clean install of Windows 7 or download updated media from here; http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-microsoft-windows/dell-windows-7-64-bit-psp2-reinstallation-isos-april-2016-media-refresh/
  • EdGasket
    edited 30 March 2017 at 12:03PM
    Options
    Thanks, So does that SLIC file licence my DELL for all versions of WIndows 7 e.g. 64-bit Pro?
    (My current version is 32-bit Vista business)

hmm bit confused; do I use the Windows 7 installation you PM'd me or one of the DELL ones in the link in your previous post, and if so which one as I have no Windows 7 sticker on the machine like it says there should be?
  • NiftyDigits
    Options
    Thanks, So does that SLIC file licence my DELL for all versions of WIndows 7 e.g. 64-bit Pro?
    (My current version is 32-bit Vista business)

hmm bit confused; do I use the Windows 7 installation you PM'd me or one of the DELL ones in the link in your previous post, and if so which one as I have no Windows 7 sticker on the machine like it says there should be?

Use either....as I wrote earlier. You can use mine, as I can vouch for it's integrity or PY's if you wish.
    I already sent you detailed instructions via PM. Just get on with it....you are giving me a headache. :)
  • EdGasket
    Options
    Use either....as I wrote earlier. You can use mine, as I can vouch for it's integrity or PY's if you wish.
    I already sent you detailed instructions via PM. Just get on with it....you are giving me a headache. :)

Ok well thanks again. Just remember not everyone is as tech savvy as you and need things explaining patiently and clearly.

I will try it but need to get a new hard drive first so I don't destroy my existing data.

Thanks for your help.
  • Mee
    Mee Posts: 1,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Thanks for PMing the links. I need to work through it so I understand what I am doing and the risk.

With much appreciation.
    Free thinker.:cool:
  • NiftyDigits
    Options
    Ok well thanks again. Just remember not everyone is as tech savvy as you and need things explaining patiently and clearly.

I will try it but need to get a new hard drive first so I don't destroy my existing data.

Thanks for your help.

Hopefully a Solid State Drive.
    I explained everything clearly that needed to be explained to get it to work. The rest was just your curiosity.
  • EdGasketTheSecond
    Options
    Thanks Nifty Digits; I got around to installing Windows 7 from the image you provided and it works 100%. Thank you so much!

(EdGasket got banned for quoting some truths; can't do that in this Politically correct state; so EdGasketThe Second has had to take up the reigns!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure