Options
13»

Comments

• Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,137 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    PompeyPete wrote: »
    A couple of filling fresh pastizzi @ 30 cents each for every meal.....washed down by 500ml cans of Martens Gold @ one €uro a can.;)

If I remember correctly, it was you who suggested Malta when i was asking for holiday suggestions last year.

I'm not saying Malta was expensive, the value for money was pretty good but it may be a bit of an eye-opener if you are used to Costa Del Sol prices.
  • davetrousers
    davetrousers Posts: 5,862 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm off to Malta on Sunday for 11 nights, for the 3rd time. It suits us atm as we have 2 small children.

We Stayed in Mellieha twice before, Solana Hotel up the hill and the DB Seabank at the bottom by the beach. Mellieha is good for trips to Gozo (Ferry is about 4 euros) and Comino and the Blue Lagoon.

Mdina and Valletta are must places to visit. But there are lots of places that we haven't visited. There is an ancient Necropolis that sounds fascinating but we can't take kids there.

This time we're staying in Bugibba, near the bus station so we intend to use the buses again.

Valletta is the city of Culture 2018.

Pastizzi are good snacks when out and about, in Gozo we bought some at 25 cents each.

There is this Prickly Pear liqueur, which you read about in guides etc. It is OK, but there is an almond one which is so much better.

I noticed in October a Google Streetview car, but it seems that it hasn't 'gone live' yet.

Some people don't like Malta, I can sort of understand why as it is a dusty, rocky island. But I really like it, the people seem friendly (generally), there is truck loads of history from ancient to modern times. If you don't like it, don't go again. It's not the decision of a lifetime.

• PompeyPete
    PompeyPete Posts: 7,126 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 13 March 2017 at 2:49PM
    Options
    Excellent info about the public buses.....routes, timetables, fares...

https://www.publictransport.com.mt/en/routes-timetables

Remember that the buses on many routes fill very quickly.

As Malta and Gozo are only small, the Lonely Planet guidebook is excellent, the chances are that wherever you go to visit will be covered in the book. The maps in the book are v.useful too. It was updated fairly recently, and if you order it from Wordery online, you'll get a decent discount.....mine is out on loan to a mate at the moment.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,593 Forumite
    Options
    I thought I saw you there in Autumn 2015. Must have been someone else. ;)

Thanks for being observant, time flies!
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,593 Forumite
    Options
    We stayed in a hotel a few streets from the seafront with a bus stop to Valetta right outside the door. It was much easier to get on a bus here than down in Barruta Bay where they often sailed past full!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure