PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Selling Mums house with brother in situ

Options
13»

Comments

• TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,204 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    silvercar wrote: »
    While Mum is alive an LPA means that you do as she would have wished, had she been capable. Arguably that means spending on brother.

Once she is no longer alive, you as executor would comply with the will.

There is the intermediate stage, between death and probate, where you brother would have not yet had inheritance but have no income.

How much equity is in the property, after the equity release company get their share including any interest etc?

the bolded isn't quite right. When you are acting under a power of attorney you have to act in the best interests of the donor. That can include things such as giving gifts where there is a clear precedent, but you also have to consider whether that's in Mum's best interests - which would means that things such as her other financial needs would be relevant.

OP, if you wanted, you could talk to your mum about naming her solicitor as her attorney. It would be more expensive but would create a buffer state between you and your brother, and if you aren't bothered about the money you could consider that.

Longer term, it is possible that your brother could make a claim under the inheritance act but it wouldn't be a foregone conclusion.

One of the factor that has to be considered with that kind of claim is the impact on other beneficiaries if the claim is allowed, as well as the extent to which the claimant 'needs' the money - the test is whether the person who made the will made 'reasonable provision' for the claimant.
    I think that it would be much harder for someone who was one of 2 children and who was left 50% of the estate to argue that, than in a case where a child was cut out completely.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    GDB2222 wrote: »
    indsty wrote: »

The OP said he is psychotic.

Even if everyone refused to employ him - then he could (and should) still claim benefit rather than leach off his mother and make any attempt to claim OP's share of the inheritance (just because of a possible twist in the law that might allow that).

I wouldnt take it as being "a done deal" in OP's position that he would be able to mis-use the law to claim he should have any of OP's share (on the grounds he is being supported by mother currently). I would certainly investigate whether "being supported" is something that would only apply to someone would expect to be being "supported" (ie someone not old enough to hold down a job or too physically ill to do a job). Even with "too physically ill to hold down a job" - someone is still capable of claiming benefit in lieu of a paypacket.

In OP's position - I'd be holding discussions with the firm the equity release scheme is with come the time and letting them know they had my full backing to get their share out of the estate and I was supposed to have 50% of the balance and arranging with them to do so.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options

In OP's position - I'd be holding discussions with the firm the equity release scheme is with come the time and letting them know they had my full backing to get their share out of the estate and I was supposed to have 50% of the balance and arranging with them to do so.

I doubt if they'll care be interested in that discussion. Where the surplus money goes is of no concern to them.

They have a charge on the house and they'll start applying interest to it at a high rate from the date of death.

It's win:win for them, however it goes, Sorry.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    She is getting frailer but I know she will refuse to go one home.

It may not be her choice. If she is admitted to hospital, and they will not release her to return to live in her own home, then what? She stays in hospital?
    I think I'll cancel the lpa

You would simply not act under it.

Does your brother also hold PoA over her finances?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure