We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Decluttering medicine cabinet - expiry dates

Decluttered the medicine cabinet the other day to get rid of out of date over-the-counter medications, thinking they would be probably dangerous or unsafe to take.

Then I found this link on the topic which is worth a read.

http://www.emedexpert.com/tips/expired-meds.shtml

Interestingly it seems that many dry OTC medications are actually still safe although over time they lose their eficasity. Liquid ones though are more dodgy.

Comments

  • rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    As someone who largely ignores food expiry dates, I have to say I am a lot more cautious with medicines, purely because, as you point out, they are not as efficient after that date.
    If I did, however, go hunting for, say, an antihistamine one day and found that they were a few months out of date then I would still use them, but would make a note to buy fresh ones.
    When I was a nurse, we would check every expiry date on every single medicine that we administered. Every single time without exception.
    I know that a few months won't make much difference on something which is manufactured with an expiry date around 4-5 years after manufacture, but if I am going to have to put a load of chemicals into my body to treat something, I'd prefer to know that they were going to be as efficient as possible.
    Don't forget folks, please take any out of date drugs to any pharmacist to dispose of. They won't ask questions, won't judge if you have stuff that is waaay older than the hills, but it is a safe way to dispose of them.
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 7,593 Senior Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    My DD had a clear out of the cupboard under the sink in the bathroom and most of it went in the bin. It wasn't medicines so much, more things like calendula nappy cream and stuff for infant eczema. She is our only child and is 15! She was nearly 4 and long out of nappies when we moved to this house so we had actually moved with stuff that was already 2 years out of date.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Primrose wrote: »
    Interestingly it seems that many dry OTC medications are actually still safe although over time they lose their eficasity. Liquid ones though are more dodgy.
    Don't risk it, just take expired meds back to the pharmacy for disposal.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

    "No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

    Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Out of date epi-pens can be kept as used, they aren't quite as effective but studies have shown the effect is still more than adequate. It is also handy for people like me, my doctor refuses to prescribe me two so I keep one on my person and my out of date one in the car.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.