Letting someone test drive my car - insurance?

Options
124»

Comments

• Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    ..........👍

Kindly stop derailing this thread Andy McDM. you are adding nothing to the discussion.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    This comes up on here time and time again and time and time again it keeps getting disproved.

Aviva and the AA are just two that I know of that don't require the other vehicle to be insured and when this topic last came up, some posters gave other insurers when the policy is the same.

Sorry but you're wrong about the AA.

From their policy booklet...

SUBSECTION 5
    Driving other cars.
    If Your Certificate of Motor Insurance permits You, we will also cover You, the policyholder, for Your liability
    to other people while You are driving any other private motor car which You do not own or have not hired or
    leased as long as;
    a) the vehicle is not owned by Your employer or hired to them under a hire –purchase or lease agreement
    b) You currently hold a valid and full UK or European Licence.
    c) the use of the vehicle is covered under the Certificate of Motor Insurance
    d) cover is not provided by any other insurance
    e) You have the owners permission to drive the vehicle
    f) the vehicle is in a roadworthy condition and has valid tax, MOT and Insurance in its own right.
    g) the vehicle stated on Your Certificate of Motor Insurance is still owned by You.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,295 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    This comes up on here time and time again and time and time again it keeps getting disproved.
    There are many insurers whose policy documents do not state any requirement for the "other car" to have its own insurance in place before it is covered under driving other vehicles.

Aviva and the AA are just two that I know of that don't require the other vehicle to be insured and when this topic last came up, some posters gave other insurers when the policy is the same.

I'm not saying that all insurers are like this but I think it's wrong to state that it's generally the case that the other vehicle must be insured by its own policy.
    You can add LV to that list. I have an email confirming that they do not require the other vehicle to have it's own insurance
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure