Options
124»

Comments

• JuicyJesus
    JuicyJesus Posts: 3,830 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    grumbler wrote: »
    And how is this related to the part of my post that you quoted?

Bank can release the the funds wrongfully authorised by the hotel.

There's an assumption there that the funds are wrongfully authorised which neither the customer nor the bank can prove.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
  • Jhoney_2
    Jhoney_2 Posts: 1,198 Forumite
    Options
    I don't think soAny example of T&C allowing a hotel to take/authorise £3K+ when the actual price is 2x£85? Why £3K, not £3M - in case the customer blows up the entire hotel
    There is no need for an example from the Ts and Cs, because the hotel have not requested a payment from the card (authorised to be used to take payment on settlement) and no money has left the account?

The OP was not familiar enough with the process of the hotel/bank with which he booked/banks in this situation. This could also have happened on a credit card - in terms of inconvenience etc if it was loaded for expenses whilst away or had a similar balance unintended for this purpose, so protection from fraud yes, but not necessarily different in terms of effect on available funds.

Presumably the last sentence was a humerous throwaway comment grumbler, but as I said, they used a reasonable figure, for reasonable use as they were being....reasonable? Further to which nothing has been withdrawn/requested from the account.

• grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    JuicyJesus wrote: »
    There's an assumption there that the funds are wrongfully authorised which neither the customer nor the bank can prove.
    It's the company that has to prove, not the customer or the bank.
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Jhoney wrote: »
    There is no need for an example from the Ts and Cs, because the hotel have not requested a payment from the card (authorised to be used to take payment on settlement) and no money has left the account?
    So, are you saying that any company I pay to can authorise whatever amount they want thus essentially blocking my account for any other payments?
    The OP was not familiar enough with the process of the hotel/bank with which he booked/banks in this situation.
    I am familiar enough with the process, but I would never expect a company to authorise £3K+ when the actual amount is £200 - unless the company in question clearly informs me about this before I pay and I agree to proceed.

• Jhoney_2
    Jhoney_2 Posts: 1,198 Forumite
    edited 16 March 2017 at 10:17AM
    Options
    So, are you saying that any company I pay to can authorise whatever amount they want thus essentially blocking my account for any other payments?

I am familiar enough with the process, but I would never expect a company to authorise £3K+ when the actual amount is £200 - unless the company in question clearly informs me about this before I pay and I agree to proceed.

[/LEFT]

Yet OP stated there was a mix up in currency - see #6 - hence the inflated charge figure.....

Note the booking was online so much more likely that details were there to be read prior to booking than an alarmed call from the hotel to advise on details.

Out of curiosity, I wonder how much the actual cost for 2 nights at the said overseas hotel actually is? £83 sounds a bit exceptional...

There was a time c.10yrs ago, when they would ring up as little as £1 - life/banking etc has moved on and I would still expect that to have been specific to the hotel/location in question rather than inter/national booking policy.:)
  • djpailo
    djpailo Posts: 550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    mt99 wrote: »
    So that is why - as others have said - it is best to use a credit card in these situations

What happens if you don't have enough available credit on the card?
  • jamie_02
    jamie_02 Posts: 89 Forumite
    Options
    I'm with Grumbler. I'd be a bit naffed off if I booked a reservation totalling a couple of hundred £s and the hotel 'reserved' themselves a couple of thousand. How much mini bar wine are they expecting me to run off with? It's disproportionate and unfair, and I'd expect a reasonable reserve to be communicated and transacted upon check-in.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure