Post IVA Bank Account Application?

Options
chirpychick
chirpychick Posts: 1,024 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
Our IVA ended December and we have both now received our completion certificates.
When we went into the IVA we went with the Co-op, we have HATED being with the co-op for the past 6.5 years and always said, as soon as we could, we would change bank accounts.

My husband wants to go with First Direct.

I on the other hand just want to make sure we don't get rejected and then end up with multiple credit searches, just in order to change bank accounts.

Is there any website or way to check to see what bank will allow us a bank account and also is it possible to go with a bank we had as a creditor or is that still a bit risky? The last thing I want is for all our money to be paid into the account to be sucked away and leave us in a dire situation (as was threatened when we entered into the IVA so maybe i am fearful for no reason now).

Just after a little advice really as we start to get back on our feet.
Everything is always better after a cup of tea

Comments

• UpToMyNeckInIt
    Options
    Congratulations on completing your IVA.

Avoid First Direct like the plague: HSBC are notoriously hostile towards IVA/ex-IVA customers.

Great shame, because it is a good account.

I took out a first Direct Account when I knew that I was about to go into the IVA, and when FD found out, (about 3 Months into my IVA) they closed my account, leaving me with the difficultly of securing alternative banking whilst in the IVA.

Anecdotal evidence from posts on the various forums over the last 4 Years seems to suggest that I am not alone.
  • memberme
    memberme Posts: 213 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Well done congrats

I was/am with the COOP the whole time of the IVA with a normal premier plus card account. I Joined just before I submitted IVA forms and no issue for the whole term of the IVA with normal VISA debit fascilities. (My IP said he didn't mind which account I had as long as I didn't use any OD offered). I found them really helpful, good customer services, dealt with wrong direct debit payments very quickly on a couple of occasions.

I stayed with them after IVA. Customer service is worth far more than thrupence cashback on some accounts, or a one off £100 payment as a tempter to swap.

Also long term finance links are good for credit reports.

each to their own I guess
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport