We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

civil service pension query

13»

Comments

• OldBeanz
    OldBeanz Posts: 1,417 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    In your position I would leave the 2 pensions separate. Retiring last year my CS pension was based on my 2007 salary and boosted my pension by 10% i.e. CS pay has lost 10% against inflation since 2007. Take your pension at 60 (it takes them 4 months so put a note in your diary to get in touch 6 months before). You then can retire at 60 and await your LGPS pension; as you have presumably a decent CS pension you could justify trying to convert the JGPS to a SIPP and drawing the funds as required; if you felt you wanted to continue working then pay your pension (or at least any money taxed at the higher rate) into a PP or SIPP until you want to retire or have enough money to take you to your SP and LGPS pension. Just take your pensions when they are due.
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Hung up my suit! Combo Breaker First Post
    Acquinas wrote: »
    Essentially, you have to remember that you are a long time dead.

Aye, but you also have to remember that age 80 is nothing nowadays.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Hung up my suit! Combo Breaker First Post
    Galoglas wrote: »
    I have 31 years accrued in my civil service pension. I have been offered a job in local government and I am trying to find out if I am best to leave my civil service pension as it is or transfer it to the local government scheme. I'll be 55 in April was planning to retire around 60.

If you do retire at 60 that gives you the useful option of taking the CS DB pension and also, perhaps, transferring the LGPS pension to a DC scheme. Then you could draw from the DC pension to bridge the gap until your State Retirement Pension.

if you moved the CS pension into the LGPS then you'd lose the option of diversifying your occupational pensions between DB and DC. It may be an option you'd never use, but it still might be comforting to know it's there.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 345.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 251K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 451K Spending & Discounts
  • 237.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 612.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 174.3K Life & Family
  • 251K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.