Ppi claim

Options
I started a claim last year with a claims company and never followed through with it.
Could someone tell me if I now do a claim on my own will the company have rights to take 30 percent anyway? And if so is there anything I can do to prevent them from doing this?

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Did you sign the contract with the claims company?
    Did they carry out any work?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Sam1814
    Options
    Yes I signed and yes they liaised with the bank but as my address details hadn't been updated they couldnt proceed. And I just left on the side until now! That was about 10 month ago.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 9,016 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    As you signed a contract they would argue they should be entitled to a cut but chances are if you complained already the bank may have shut the complaint - depends if they rejected it and said you could go to the FOS or just asked you for more details
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,582 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You need to cancel your agreement with them if you want to do it by yourself, but do it in writing,not over the phone or by e-mail.

Also, be aware, if you do cancel it, you may be charged for work they ahve already done which may be a fair whack.

Your call really.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • romford
    Options
    I am new to the forum.
    I recently made a claim for ppi through a claims company, my claim was against RBS Avanta credit card. I discovered recently, a PPI policy, and informed the claims company, they informed me that as the PPI was underwritten by an insurance company they were not liable. Is this fact.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    romford wrote: »
    I am new to the forum.
    I recently made a claim for ppi through a claims company, my claim was against RBS Avanta credit card. I discovered recently, a PPI policy, and informed the claims company, they informed me that as the PPI was underwritten by an insurance company they were not liable. Is this fact.

The insurance company handles claims. The card provider handles complaints.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,582 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    romford wrote: »
    I am new to the forum.
    I recently made a claim for ppi through a claims company, my claim was against RBS Avanta credit card. ..., they informed me that as the PPI was underwritten by an insurance company they were not liable. Is this fact.

The PPI is usually underwritten by an insurance company.....PPI is insurance.
    What exactly did the letter say?
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure