Tax credit overpayment nightmare - please help

Options
2»

Comments

• Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    Options
    gbhxu wrote: »
    What about Section 187 of the Social Security Administration Act 1992?

What about it???
  • Icequeen99
    Icequeen99 Posts: 3,775 Forumite
    Options
    Hello IQ.

My tax credit claim closed in 2012! UC was claimed in august 2016. I received about £120 but after that my wages from my part time second job were too high (I picked up more shifts after loss of first job, until I got new FT work)

I got a letter today from DWP stating that I owe £90 and to contact them or they would contact debt collectors. That is the first I have heard about the debt since last year when I got a HMRC letter which I called about and was told I had paid 'my half' and that my account showed that and I didn't have to worry. Haven't heard anything about it passing to the DWP until the letter today.

Interesting, that certainly isn't my understanding of how the process is supposed to work.

Perhaps get some advice - you could try https://www.litrg.org.uk or Citizens Advice.

IQ
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    So it got to the 5 working days without a response to my complaint, so I called again.

The debt management section of HMRC seemed to be totaly on my wavelength this time with regards to overpayment and said she could see I had paid half and due to my UC claim it had done something with regards to 'household makeup' and split the debt automatically without taking into account what was already paid.

She said she is sending a reapportionment letter to DWP to remove the debt from my account. Fingers crossed all will be sorted soon.

Yet another UC roll out faff on!
  • marliepanda
    Options
    UPDATE: I have today received ANOTHER DWP overpayment letter, identical to the one in the OP. ALmost 4 months after being told it was sorted.

Currently on hold. So frustrating!!
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,950 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 14 July 2017 at 6:52PM
    Options
    .... due to my UC claim it had done something with regards to 'household makeup' and split the debt automatically without taking into account what was already paid.

She said she is sending a reapportionment letter to DWP to remove the debt from my account. Fingers crossed all will be sorted soon.

Yet another UC roll out faff on!

Indeed.
    UC admin continues to be very poor.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/about-us/how-citizens-advice-works/media/press-releases/citizens-advice-calls-for-universal-credit-rollout-to-be-paused-as-research-reveals-people-left-facing-financial-difficulty1/

I'd suggest contacting your MP. If only that having voted it in, they should be made aware of UC failures.

Hope you, eventually, sort it out. But, I guess, you are still on hold. If The Four Seasons wasn't out of copyright Vivaldi's heirs would be very, very rich!
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • marliepanda
    Options
    Alice_Holt wrote: »
    Indeed.
    UC admin continues to be very poor.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/about-us/how-citizens-advice-works/media/press-releases/citizens-advice-calls-for-universal-credit-rollout-to-be-paused-as-research-reveals-people-left-facing-financial-difficulty1/

I'd suggest contacting your MP. If only that having voted it in, they should be made aware of UC failures.

Hope you, eventually, sort it out. But, I guess, you are still on hold. If The Four Seasons wasn't out of copyright Vivaldi's heirs would be very, very rich!

I claimed UC for all of 5/6 weeks, I haven't claimed for almost 9 months

HMRC had no records since my March letter, and debt reapportionment.
    DWP said the letter was sent on the 8/7/17 and a payment cleared the balance on 13/7/17. They said it was a reallocation from HMRC as if they'd 'paid on my behalf' I have no idea. I took the guys name and date/time so hopefully I have back up to show it's okay...

It must have been cancelled in march as a I set up a 'just in case' payment plan and no payments have ever been taken from that, such a mess and DWP couldn't explain why it was reopened then reclosed.

As soon as HMRC passes it to DWP they wipe their hands of it but then the DWP have no history on the debt to explain anything to you and you end up going back and forth to try and work out what's happening.
  • Icequeen99
    Icequeen99 Posts: 3,775 Forumite
    Options
    I claimed UC for all of 5/6 weeks, I haven't claimed for almost 9 months

HMRC had no records since my March letter, and debt reapportionment.
    DWP said the letter was sent on the 8/7/17 and a payment cleared the balance on 13/7/17. They said it was a reallocation from HMRC as if they'd 'paid on my behalf' I have no idea. I took the guys name and date/time so hopefully I have back up to show it's okay...

It must have been cancelled in march as a I set up a 'just in case' payment plan and no payments have ever been taken from that, such a mess and DWP couldn't explain why it was reopened then reclosed.

As soon as HMRC passes it to DWP they wipe their hands of it but then the DWP have no history on the debt to explain anything to you and you end up going back and forth to try and work out what's happening.

I think it might be time to get some help with it - try one of the tax charities https://www.litrg.org.uk or CAB or a local welfare rights unit.

IQ
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport