Cat pee ... at my wit's end

Options
13»

Comments

• GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    All my cat litter trays are covered ones, she just doesn't use them as far as i am aware or does so in secret.

Cats feel vulnerable while toileting, this is why most cats dislike covered trays.
  • K9sandFelines
    K9sandFelines Posts: 2,570 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    GwylimT wrote: »
    Cats feel vulnerable while toileting, this is why most cats dislike covered trays.

Will get a few uncovered trays too, as they are easier to whip away and store when not needed. Thanks.
    GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb £137.18 Mar £118.89 April £
    Forever learning the art of frugality
  • Whalie
    Whalie Posts: 209 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think that you may have to get her re-homed. Not all cats like other cats! She may not show aggression or avoidance to the other cats but that does not mean she likes them! It is also a habit she has got into. I have such a cat. Lovely looking pedigree handed over to the RSPCA at 8 years old (after finished being breed from). Was warned that the reason she was given to them was her wetting and not getting on with the other cats.

Well it has taken me 3 years but we are finally getting there. I have used just about all the above suggestions others have given you. She has two uncovered trays - don't use the biogradeable or wood chips, she just does not like them. Clean them out as soon as she makes a deposit, and change the litter every few days. If I am out all day and evening, then I do put out a few puppy pads in areas she has used but lately I find them dry.

I know that while I own her, she will have to be the only animal I have.

I hope you find a solution.
  • K9sandFelines
    Options
    Whalie wrote: »
    I think that you may have to get her re-homed. Not all cats like other cats! She may not show aggression or avoidance to the other cats but that does not mean she likes them! It is also a habit she has got into. I have such a cat. Lovely looking pedigree handed over to the RSPCA at 8 years old (after finished being breed from). Was warned that the reason she was given to them was her wetting and not getting on with the other cats.

Well it has taken me 3 years but we are finally getting there. I have used just about all the above suggestions others have given you. She has two uncovered trays - don't use the biogradeable or wood chips, she just does not like them. Clean them out as soon as she makes a deposit, and change the litter every few days. If I am out all day and evening, then I do put out a few puppy pads in areas she has used but lately I find them dry.

I know that while I own her, she will have to be the only animal I have.

I hope you find a solution.

She was already a rescue cat from the start so would never put her back in that situation. Since the last time i posted here that she had weed, she hasn't done it. she has done it prior to the newest cats coming along so it's not a new thing and the other cats she has lived with most of her life. She never has been very sociable but id rather she stays with those she knows.than have the stress of a new family.
    I hope you find a solutuon also.
    GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb £137.18 Mar £118.89 April £
  • Whalie
    Whalie Posts: 209 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    K9sandFelines my post did sound harsh about re-homing. No way did I mean send her back to a rescue centre! But if you could find an alternative situation for her with friends or contacts or (which I know would be nearly impossible) give her her own area which the other cats are not allowed in. My cat although not perfect is 95% better than she was but I nearly gave up hope.:D
  • K9sandFelines
    Options
    Whalie wrote: »
    K9sandFelines my post did sound harsh about re-homing. No way did I mean send her back to a rescue centre! But if you could find an alternative situation for her with friends or contacts or (which I know would be nearly impossible) give her her own area which the other cats are not allowed in. My cat although not perfect is 95% better than she was but I nearly gave up hope.:D
    No worries Whalie, its hard to get across when you're typing words on a screen. I've got nobody who can have her. None of my family are interested in cats and friends that are already have their own.
  • Jobo321
    Jobo321 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    Glue cat biscuits to some card and put it were they pee. They don't pee were their is food. 😻😻😻
  • paddypaws101
    paddypaws101 Posts: 2,093 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think the suggestion of Cystophan is a good one....it aims to address any bladder discomfort and also contains Tryptophan which has a calming action. Zylkene is also a good one to try, but buy the 450mg 'dog' capsules and split them to use an appropriate dose.
    I think it sounds as if this habit is coming from her anxiety, and had been heightened by the addition of the two new cats even though she appears to tolerate them.
    One other thing I would try is to keep one litter tray just for her use. Feeding times seems to trigger toiletting for my cats, so try popping her onto her own safe tray around that time and see if she will empty her bladder then. One of my boys can be a bit of a sprayer, and when I see him looking for a likely spot I pop him in the tray. If he pees in there he gets a reward of his special biscuits. He also gets a supplement with Tryptophan in it which has really helped.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    For dog wee smells, Simple Solution is good. My two are getting on and sniff at accidents, but ignore the spot once treated.

They do a cat version, which I assume is just as good and is cheaper when bought in 4 litre containers, from Amazon. (I decant into spray bottles and find it useful for general household stains eg greasy soot marks on rugs, rubbed in mud)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure