Very catalogue not responding - what now?

Options
124»

Comments

• Starsphinx
    Options
    Very are insisting on a second inspection and repair. Am I legally obliged to accept this? I have bought another laptop - I bought it when I arranged for the return of the original laptop because I believed I was returning it. I would not have bought it if I did not think I was returning the first one and the first one being repaired will mean I have 2 laptops I am paying for which I definitely cannot afford
  • naedanger
    naedanger Posts: 3,102 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Starsphinx wrote: »
    Very are insisting on a second inspection and repair. Am I legally obliged to accept this? I have bought another laptop - I bought it when I arranged for the return of the original laptop because I believed I was returning it. I would not have bought it if I did not think I was returning the first one and the first one being repaired will mean I have 2 laptops I am paying for which I definitely cannot afford

I have only skimmed your case but I think you can insist on a refund for two reasons.

Firstly you gave Very (via their agent "Acer") a chance to fix the laptop and they failed to do so. It is important that you went to "Acer" at Very's instruction rather than directly.

Secondly I think you are saying Very previously promised a refund and based on that promise you have now bought another laptop and so a repair would now mean you are out of pocket.

Of course if a judge disagreed with your view of the facts then you might not be due a refund e.g. if a judge disputed the laptop was faulty.

Given you have come so far I suggest you respond to Very in writing explaining that for the above two reason you require a refund. And reiterate how disappointed you are with the way they are dealing with your valid complaint.
  • Agricolae
    Agricolae Posts: 380 Forumite
    Options
    I think it would be worth contacting FOS now rather than waiting. If they think it's too early they can only say you should wait, but it may be they consider you'd complained earlier and Very are now just giving you the runaround.
  • Starsphinx
    Starsphinx Posts: 29 Forumite
    Options
    Very are now making out that the fault arose after I sent it back for repairs the first time because the report from Acer states no manufacturing fault and are insisting on me sending for repair. I think I am going to try Agricolaes suggestion and contact FOS now - I am starting to dread getting an email and being reduced to tears when I read the responses.
  • Starsphinx
    Options
    Just spent 20 minutes on the phone with FOS - very helpful gentleman and they are going to start looking into it for me.
  • Starsphinx
    Options
    OK a very quick update and a big thank you to everyone at MoneySavings.

After my last post I had a letter from the catalogue saying they were investigating - it took a bit more messing about but a couple of weeks ago I had a phone call from them they have given me a full refund on the laptop and (unbelievably) let me keep it :shocked:.
    It is now being used by my son who only ever does office type stuff on it which is fine.

Great result all round and thank you for all the support and advice because without it I would have given up and still be paying for something I could not use.
  • Lip_Stick
    Lip_Stick Posts: 2,415 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Great result for you. Very are shocking to deal with when things go wrong, so glad you stuck to your guns.
    There's a storm coming, Mr Johnson. You and your friends better batten down the hatches, because when it hits, you're all gonna wonder how you ever thought you could live so large and leave so little for the rest of us.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure