We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING
Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Old Style Daily thead. Sunday 5th March 2017
Legacy_user
Posts: 0 Newbie
This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!
As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.
As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.
0
Comments
-
Morning all,
Slept well for a change. Hounds didn't get me up either.
Lots to do today. Didn't get half done yesterday that I wanted to so that leaves today.
I've got to put my foot down today with hubby. He never listens so will probably ignore me. We do not need CCTV. We have never been broken into. One failed attempt at breaking into his shed 20 years ago doesn't warrant spending a fortune on cameras. The exterior of the house is lit up like a Christmas tree when the neighbours cat walks into our garden at night anyway. The house is alarmed with passives everywhere and I'm not having cameras in every room.
Onwards and forwards
Have a great day allThis is a system account and does not represent a real person. To contact the Forum Team email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com0 -
Good morning all,wide awake this morning for some reason.I'm going to make some cookies for the boys and some melting moments for my DD later this morning.Its light here already although the pale pink band across to horizon usually means rain is on the way.
Had a good play with my new Dunelm mop yesterday and I am very pleased with it ,saves a lot of back ache and works brilliantly.Also rearranged my kitchen a bit ,spring must be on the way as I felt quite invigorated and did all the cupboard fronts and splashbacks I have eight double fronted cupboards in my kitchen which are now gleaming
:):) It helps they are all white and I forgot how nice they look when done All the winter grot is gone 
Day five of Lent and so far nothing on my shopping list I am doing quite well using up what I have
:):) Trying to give up shopping for unnecessary stuff is working at the moment 
Elona just seen your post re couscous ,so I can use it dry instead of breadcrumbs to coat stuff with That sounds interesting as I sometimes use dry stuffing mix as a replacement for breadcrumbs.The two mixes I have are Ainsley's chilli, and a mixed herb and garlic one
Hope you all have a good day what ever you are doing,enjoy it
Cheers JackieO xx
P.S. Hope things are OK NRA its not an easy thing for you, I am thinking of you take care and be strong for your Dad xx0 -
Morning all and thanks for the start JUDI. A bright red band along the horizon here too JACKIE when I first looked out.. It looked stunning but it won't when the promised rain arrives! I have the SK bedding to wash today too. I missed my chance 'cos it would have all dried outside yesterday!
We have been promising ourselves new sofas for ages. Our current ones are getting very saggy and are the devil to keep clean. Why did I think ivory was DH and DGD friendly?! So yesterday afternoon we went down "just to look" at a furniture showroom we have never been in before. Talk about spoilt for choice and a sale on too. After much browsing and deliberating we have ended up ordering 2 leather ones. Now I must get round to sorting out curtains for the front window! It's a BIG square bay and has been the bane of my life since we moved here 37 years ago!! We have had tracks and poles numerous ways over the years and I've not been happy with any of them. Currently it just has blinds and has never looked finished off. I might resort to being a Peeping Tom and see how other folk roundabout with the same window have their curtains hung! There must be one way we haven't tried!
I have some pork escalopes defrosting for lunch and will prep an assortment of veg shortly. I think at last freezer stocks look to be going down and I am battling with the urge not to go into panic mode just yet!
Have a good day folks and (HUGS) for those wanting/needing them. Have fun with your new guest LAMEWOLF! CSARINA and ELONA keep trying to rest up. Take care all x"If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"0 -
Morning everyone.
Yesterday turned out dry and cold when the forecast was for rain, so who knows what today will bring.
I did a little bit in the garden yesterday, my back gets sore fairly easily, think I've lost my core strength so need to work on that. Anyway, cleared some old foliage and racked up stuff I had pruned and left lying. It's great to see all the bulbs blossoming, it's very cheery.
Then I set too and sorted out loads of papers. I've got a great scanner app on my phone which creates PDFs and then emails the document. Once scanned and emailed the papers got screwed up and chucked in a cardboard box. These were joined by a load of other papers and got burned in the garden incinerator.
Lovely friend called round to take down the new hall / front door curtain as the pole is not the right solution. I've ordered a steel corded track which'll be delivered by Friday. I've also ordered an extra long tie back and a hook.
No idea what today will bring, I'll lie here at bit longer and think about it!
Happy Sunday to all and virtual hugs too.0 -
Morning All
Yesterday's rain cleared up mid-morning and it was a half decent day. When I had finished at DDs I came home and fell asleep! Went for the shopping to Ald! at 7pm - they had just had a delivery so shelves were stocked and only 2 or 3 other folk in there, it made a chore so much easier.
The one day I can lie in I woke up at 5.30 this morning, laid in bed till 6 then gave up. Ironing done and a lasagne made for the travellers returning - I'll give it to them when I collect them from the airport. They are meant to be coming over for dinner but may not feel like it, at least they will have something to eat later. If they come over for a curry they can put the lasagne in the fridge till tomorrow.
I have a bay window TA, there are roller blinds at the 3 windows and curtains with eyelets. The curtains only close part way because of the brackets for the pole but it does seem to dress the window just having them at the sides, I hardly ever pull them over anyway.
It's dry at the moment but not looking promising - don't know if I'll ever be able to put the washing out again!
Have a happy Sunday, take care. XX0 -
Morning everyone
Judi - thanks for starting us off x
Hugs to those that want/need one x
Happy birthday to those with a birthday x
Everyone now surfacing, DS2 just now finishing in the shower, DH now eating his brekkie, I've showered, dressed and had brekkie, DS1 still in his pit but has a cuppa.
Dry bright and sunny here at the moment, but clouds are looming in the distance and forecast for from mid morning is dire - so not holding my breath for a decent day - yesterday started out not so good, but then cleared and was bright and sunny all day.
Dinner last night was steak, sausage, liver, chips, peas and onion rings - bloomin lovely it was. Today we'll be having dinner once DS2 comes home from doing his work experience. We'll be having roast chicken portions, roasties, mash, carrots, cauli/broc cheese, yorkshires and gravy - may turn out to be a scaled back version of that but a sort of roast.
A day of lots of jobs to do - I tried to persuade DH into getting them done yesterday as we need to be in and out and thought doing it in the dry would be better, he didn't want to know so he can get wet later! Unfortunately what we need to do can't be left - so we have to get it done today. We've made the decision to get rid of the caravan as we're not using it, both boys now grown up and don't want to come away with us and the programme for this season is just the same old same old, we normally have loads planned by now and have been going away but there's nothing we fancied as so little to choose from. DH is fed up with towing too, I should tow and can do but wouldn't do it with DH sat beside me as he's awful just in my little car so with a caravan on the back he'd be dreadful. We've always had loads of pleasure from it and many great memories we just now also want to do different things, and go to different places, time moves on, and we're ready for different experiences. Hoping it'll sell reasonably easy - it's a beautiful van and in very good condition, but we have so much kit, some we'll sell with it some I want to keep, so that's our job for today, getting it sorted. We have a holiday booked for just me and DH in a few weeks in a log cabin, and we've just also booked a cottage in yorkshire for our summer hols instead of taking the caravan away. So lots going on here.
Keep safe and well x
nmlc xWEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB0 -
Morning all
LW I'm glad Lizzy has arrived, hugs to Csarina, NRA, Judi and anyone else in need.
DGD slept all night and I went to bed half an hour after her though I only slept intermittently, my L&M is having problems with one of his feet, it hurts on the top from the toe to the ankle.
DD1 and SIL are hoping to get over this afternoon and collect some of the garden stuff then the rest will go in the skip, I must remember to ask if they want a small portable TV too, two garden tables and 6 garden chairs.
I think just before we move we will have an open house, post it on FB and gum tree and just let people take what they want.
Have a good day everyone.
Hugs HesterChin up, Titus out.0 -
Morning all, thank you for the thread judi.
I've been up for a few hours, have not achieved much other than starting a loaf in the bread maker that DM gave me last week and shoving a load in the washing machine. Not exactly onerous.
Today I just have our bedlinen to change and must make efforts towards drying washing, can't put it outside since it is hissing down and the weatherman says it will rain all day. It us colder than it has been for the last few days so I have the heating on, not very mse but I am already layered up. I'm going to put another layer on but am starting to look like the Michelin woman, so many extra clothes.
JackieO the garlicky one will be lovely as a coating for a piece of chicken, we use plain couscous for that, also we use it sometimes to coat par boiled potatoes and then roast them, my O.H likes it cold with salad too though I prefer it hot.
Tonight's dinner will be roast chicken. I made some stuffing last night so that's ready to be cooked. Roasties, York shires, various veg etc. I could make a pudding but probably won't get round to it.. I am possibly slightly limited in pudding choices since the only fruit in the house is bananas (no thank you) and OH managed to forget the eggs, I have 2 left. I can't get him to go for more until he goes on another errand to combine with egg-purchasing as that woukd be a waste of petrol or more accurately he cba.
Washing machine has stopped, I am off to deal with the contents. Have a good day everyone.I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back0 -
TA we have 4-pane bays up & downstairs and DH has finally found a Swish corded rail he's happy with in B&Q - it is £50, but would be a bit cheaper on a Wednesday

JackieO be aware that the amount of couscous in a bowl in the fridge never ever goes down, I swear it's like something from Willy Wonka!2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇⭐
2025 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐0 -
Morning all,
Pouring with rain here and looks set in for the day I was going to strip the beds but think I will leave it till the weather is better.
OH is just cooking brunch, duck eggs and bacon with toast which should keep us going till dinner tonight which is yet to be christened, I think there are some pork chops in the freezer, I will go and rummage in a while.
Evie has had a haircut and looks very cute she has had a short back and sides but they leave the ears a bit longer she looks adorable !
Fire needs emptying and relaying for tonight and a general tidy round.
NRA thinking of you xx
Hugs to Marie xx
Have good days all xx0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards


