Can I Cash In My Pension?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning
1 reply 5.7K views
emjem_3emjem_3 Forumite
312 Posts
Am clueless on this so would be very grateful to receive any comments before I make contact with my previous employer, so that I don't come across to them as totally stupid!

Since graduating I paid into an English teachers pension for about four years....

then transferred it to the Scottish teachers scheme when we moved, for about 18 months...

then transferred it to a local government scheme for two years.

We have since moved again (husband in the RAF, hence lots of jobs!) and unfortunately I am unable to teach where we live now as there is a language barrier. I have a part time job working in an office and as I am not earning very much I am not paying into a pension.

I am hoping to become pregnant very soon and once the baby is born I shall be at home full time and hopefully have more children. I don't envisage ever returning to work. So my question is would it be wise for me to cash in my pension? I realise that it would not be a huge amount of money, but it would be nice to put it in my baby fund.

Any suggestions gratefully received.
:A I can fly :A

Replies

• dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    106.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    So my question is would it be wise for me to cash in my pension?

You cannot do it and it wouldnt be wise to do it even if you could.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals