Cherry takes the reins

Options

Comments

• Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    Loving all the baking chat. We increasingly use frozen veg - saves the risk of anything going to waste. Especially broccoli, even though it's a tiny bit squashy from frozen, we were so often throwing away half a head here or there that it makes more sense to buy frozen.

Ooh, and the banana bread chat has reminded me I was going to make another mincemeat cake today!
    Trying to figure out a whole new life. Trying to figure out a whole new budget.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,109 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I'm laid on the bed as I haven't even got the energy to walk downstairs. I've just read through xspenders thread over on OS. That's exactly what I need to do but won't be anywhere near as exciting with nuggets and waffles.
    Thank you for the recommendation.
    Hope you are feeling better soon.
    Ooh... waffles! The potato sort with melted cheese over and maybe a slice of tomato? One thing I know for sure I haven't got. Shame! :D
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • WannabeFree
    WannabeFree Posts: 4,438 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Got potatoes? Make some :p

Hope you have a good day :D

x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the way.”
  • charlies_tribe
    Options
    Hope you are feeling better soon.
    Ooh... waffles! The potato sort with melted cheese over and maybe a slice of tomato? One thing I know for sure I haven't got. Shame! :D
    Thank you.
    That does sound rather nice! I've only ever thought of them as a quick meal for the children.
    We have a pantry full of egg waffles, they go down well too (so does the syrup bottle!).
    LBM in April 17 - £14998/£33554 (44.6%) paid. Mortgage@1 June 18 = £9935/£76350 paid.Total debt @june 18 £102311 now £84972GC Jan £40.99/£500 2021 declutter 85/2021 items 0/20 bags clothes
  • Cherryfudge
    Options
    If and when I ever get useable space in the freezer, I will buy bags of veg! I especially like the idea of shaking it in a butter tub - don't know why butter works so well, but it does.

The only frozen veg I keep in a the moment are peas and spinach, with sometimes a bag of sweetcorn too. There are always carrots in the fridge (and onions in a cloth bag) - but what else do people like as a standby/essential veg in the freezer?

Well, not a lot going on here today... I came down with this cold that's been debilitating people, struggled through my shift yesterday and knew by part way through that I couldn't do the same today so I've called in sick and am in bed keeping warm under a winter weight duvet, with two fleeces, a hot water bottle, double layer of socks and the heating on! I think something is wrong with my own thermostat as normally I overheat easily! However sleep has helped and doing nothing is also helping - I doubt I'm going far today.

I did make it to the supermarket yesterday, and downloaded a couple of cheap books, so there has been a bit of spending. I also bought my spike for receipts! I think it's coming from the far East so it may be a while.

8/2/18 Spends:
    Housekeeping £1.79
    Pets £2.00
    Books/download £1.69?
    Statioery £1.74?

• WannabeFree
    WannabeFree Posts: 4,438 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Oh no hope you feel better soon :( There's some horrid bugs flying around!

I don't use frozen veg :o I can't cook it right. We do have a mixed veg bag in there though :cool: and green beans. I think someone must have given them us (We take stuff being thrown out by mum and my sister often) :rotfl:
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the way.”
  • Cherryfudge
    Options
    Got potatoes? Make some :p

Hope you have a good day :D

x

I do actually have a waffle iron... :) I suppose mash, a bit of seasoning and brush the iron thing with melted butter? I confess I've only ever made the sort that use batter, and I kind of invented a thick pancake batter as I didn't know what to use.

I need to get back to running because I can't cope with all these calories any other way!

• charlies_tribe
    Options
    Hope you're feeling better soon.

We cheat and have mainly bags of different mixed veg. I have said i'm going to get single bags though, carrots, peas, broccoli, cauliflower, sweetcorn.
    LBM in April 17 - £14998/£33554 (44.6%) paid. Mortgage@1 June 18 = £9935/£76350 paid.Total debt @june 18 £102311 now £84972GC Jan £40.99/£500 2021 declutter 85/2021 items 0/20 bags clothes
  • Cherryfudge
    Options
    Oh no hope you feel better soon :( There's some horrid bugs flying around!

I don't use frozen veg :o I can't cook it right. We do have a mixed veg bag in there though :cool: and green beans. I think someone must have given them us (We take stuff being thrown out by mum and my sister often) :rotfl:

Thank you, I think if I rest I should soon be okay.

I use frozen veg sometimes at work: I think it's bought in for convenience but we also have the most superb fresh veg supplier so if I'm organised I will use fresh (or prep and freeze to save beautiful stuff getting thrown out). I found commercially frozen broccoli and cauliflower have all the charm of wallpaper paste but when I've blanched and frozen cauliflower at home it wasn't too bad. I think green beans will be in my revamped freezer (if and when), and we occasionally have those mediterranean veg medleys but I'm sure I could do a HM one for a fraction of the priace. I do freeze mushrooms too because I always buy more than I need.

• Cherryfudge
    Options
    Hope you're feeling better soon.

We cheat and have mainly bags of different mixed veg. I have said i'm going to get single bags though, carrots, peas, broccoli, cauliflower, sweetcorn.

You missed parsnips. :) I've just realised that's another thing I buy too much of and end up freezing some. They always seem to go on YS at the supermarket.

The mixed veg are a good way of sneakily getting variety into the family :rotfl:. I've been known to do that at work, too. :D

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport