Cherry takes the reins

Options

Comments

• Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    Sounds like you have lots of domestic stuff to keep you busy today! Try to treat yourself to a cup of tea and five minutes of quiet too - I know the feeling of working too hard and getting frazzled, it's almost harder to stop because you worry you'll never get going again!
    Trying to figure out a whole new life. Trying to figure out a whole new budget.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,059 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    A bit of money-saving today: decided to order my running shoes on line, thus avoiding train fare, temptation and inclement weather. Also had a successful bid for some gorgeous summer trousers on 3bay, bought socks for the menfolk and a few groceries.

Spends:
    Trainers £32.99
    Socks £11.00 (but I'm going to try to return DS's as he has loads that I didn't know about! So maybe £5 here).
    Housekeeping: £1.83
    Piano £20.00 (two weeks).

I've made a bit of progress on the list after a sleepy morning.
    Make 2 payments from Exec account
    Do CC payment
    hoover bedroom and landing - done
    Start a new bag for the charity shop - made a start
    Clean kitchen floor
    Clean ceilings: bedroom / DD's room
    clean fridge
    Ebay a second item
    Trim hedge by the door - made a start
    Clean fish tank

Poor goldfish will have to wait for their nice clean tank. :( I have, however, done all the washing and some of the ironing and somehow given myself a headache.

Batten down the hatches now everyone: it's supposed to be windy tonight. I was reading about Hurricane Irma last night and that's truly horrific, but we need to take reasonable care too.
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • parsniphead
    Options
    I'm finally catching up with diaries. You are such a busy bee cherryfudge. I don't know how you do it.

I didn't realise we were due winds tonight. I really need to get rid of the big tree. I hope it's calm by you.
    1 debt v's 100 days chapter 34: T3sco bank CC £250/£525.24 47.59%

[STRIKE]MBNA - [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]CAP ONE[/STRIKE] GONE, [STRIKE]YORKS BANK [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]VANQUIS[/STRIKE] GONE [STRIKE] TESCO - [/STRIKE], GONE
    TSB CARD, TSB LOAN, LLOYDS. FIVE DOWN, THREE TO GO.
  • Cherryfudge
    edited 13 September 2017 at 11:12PM
    Options
    Not much spending today:

Housekeeping £2.91

That's it. Not a lot of progress on The List though all yesterday's laundry is now put away and another lot is draped around the place to dry.

Someone's cat turned up on our doorstep in the storm last night, and ate a whole tin of tuna. Needless to say I'm its new best friend. I think the owners are away and the person left in charge isn't answering my texts. Some of the spending was therefore on cat food! Unfortunately, being a cat lover who can't have cats due to a couple of people in the house having allergies, I let it in. DS (who is adult and therefore theoretically old enough to know better especially as he's had some medical training), then took what he referred to as 'about three' antihistamines. He then grumped at me over something and took himself to bed. A little while later it occurred to me what he'd said and my parent/work head had me on Google looking up overdose symptoms. Irritability and drowsiness. Ah. Yes.

Well, it looks as though he's not done himself any great harm though he may feel unwell tomorrow. In between listening at his door to make sure he's breathing, I'd better let him sleep it off. There's no specific antidote to this particular drug (cetirizine) and it looks as though my packet of them has gone done by two to four, which is well over the recommended dose of one in 24 hours but under the levels talked about on the internet (5 and over).

I know I shouldn't now wear myself out trying to make something else right (cleaning or tidying) so I'll head for bed.

• Angela84
    Options
    Hope ds will be ok tomorrow! All because of the storm!
    LBM January 2017 £34k will have paid back finally by my DFD May 2021
    got my first store card on my 18th birthday, never known a life without the grey cloud of debt looming over me. 18yrs and the end is finally in sight 🤩
  • Cherryfudge
    edited 14 September 2017 at 1:52PM
    Options
    Angela84 wrote: »
    Hope ds will be ok tomorrow! All because of the storm!

Exactly! Well, there are signs of movement so he must have slept it off. Why oh why do people believe 'the rules' don't apply to them?

I am struggling with a rather low mood at the moment - have caught up on sleep quite a bit but that hasn't fixed it. I think what's beneath it is a remark DD made which has upset me although she was trying not to do so. It's to do with all those things we aren't successful at - tidiness, housework, that sort of thing. She offers to help but those bits of the clutter that are mine are things I want to work through myself - and I can only do so much at once. So at the moment I feel pressure wherever I am. Home, where I need to get on with jobs, Mum's house which is still a mountain to climb and of course has lots of emotional issues attached and work, where they have just asked me yet again to start early because the rota doesn't cover the needs. I could do with a break on even just one of those fronts, but I think I'll only get it if I make it happen.

I ought to add here that we've gone from being carers for one person to another. Not full time but the responsibility and the time taken are factors, as are changes in DH's job which mean he has a much longer commute. Moving nearer his work wouldn't solve this due to caring responsibilities.

Anyway, that's how it is right now. I'm personally not nearly as stressed as I used to be but progress seems slow. I think I'm going to make a list and get essential shopping, which will include meals for when I'm working over the next few days.

Here's that list again, brought up to date:

Get things ready for work done
    Do shopping list part done - not enough time to get to the shops before work
    Mend DH's cardigan
    Start assembling summer clothes to go in the loft part done - and put in loft!
    Make butter from the yellow-stickered cream I bought yesterday done
    Make 2 payments from Exec account done
    Do CC payment part done
    Clean kitchen floor
    Clean ceilings: bedroom / DD's room
    clean fridge
    Ebay a second item
    Finish trimming hedge by the door
    Clean fish tank
    Buy birthday present / card
    Buy anniversary card

• Cherryfudge
    Options
    Yesterday (14th) - NSD. Today I could do with getting to the shops, then I'm back into work from 2 onwards. Yesterday was a really positive shift, which is a tribute to my colleagues as things are tough at present.

I really ought to be doing that kitchen floor and fish tank which have been on my list for embarrassingly long, but DS is using the kitchen which I need for both tasks.

MS stuff:
    I am so pleased with myself! You know how the price of butter is making the news? My favourite is now £1.70 a pack. Well, Mr T was discounting cream the other day and I got 600ml for 56p. Add that to a large bowl and whisk for 20 minutes or so with a spot of salt and I have 320g of beautiful butter, plus a tub of buttermilk which has gone in the freezer. This has done the diet absolutely no good, though, as I combined it with warming up some stale scones and starting a pot of strawberry & champagne jam.

Talking of dietary things, I need to eat more quality food not just finish up junk that's been left around the breadbin and fridge! That said, I'm not going to waste those slices of pizza that want eating...

• redofromstart
    Options
    I used to do that with the cream, but then the co-op started doing nonsense reductions so it stopped being worth it for me. I used to freeze it in 2oz pats, wrapped in greaseproof paper which worked well.
  • Cherryfudge
    edited 17 September 2017 at 12:10AM
    Options
    Another busy day!

I was supposed to go shopping and did actually manage a handful of groceries and a greetings card before I got to work. I've just treated myself to a book, too.

Spends:
    Housekeeping £2.50
    Card £2.50
    Book £ £6.47
    Toiletries £6.00
    MS stuff:
    Not enough time to do 'proper' shopping (so I have no bread).
    Refund of £6.00 for the socks I bought the other day.

Some trousers I bought on 3bay have arrived and they are just as pretty as they looked on line. Sadly, however, there is a seam split. It looks to be completely mendable but I feel bad I won't be able to leave good feedback. I might just contact the seller privately and say I won't leave the feedback - I believe it's quite likely to be a genuine mistake as who would risk their 100% reputation for something like that?

• parsniphead
    Options
    Bad news about the trousers. I suppose with a 100% rating they are usually good sellers so a genuine mistake. It's thoughtful of you to contact them privately.
    1 debt v's 100 days chapter 34: T3sco bank CC £250/£525.24 47.59%

[STRIKE]MBNA - [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]CAP ONE[/STRIKE] GONE, [STRIKE]YORKS BANK [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]VANQUIS[/STRIKE] GONE [STRIKE] TESCO - [/STRIKE], GONE
    TSB CARD, TSB LOAN, LLOYDS. FIVE DOWN, THREE TO GO.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback