Options

Comments

• Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,220 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Am jealous that you get paid to garden :p

:D Oddly, I feel the same, even though it's me. Can't quite believe it :D
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons, dress 7 coupons = 12/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • Cherryfudge
    Options
    All of a sudden, J and L are moving out! They got the keys for their new flat this morning. L has the morning off (J is at work) so he and DS2 are hauling chests of drawers out and putting them in their cars. Personally I would have taken the drawers out first but I'm not a twenty-something bloke so I have to think strategy not muscle :D. In one of those strange pieces of timing, DFiL doesn't need most of the stuff from his flat now he's in a nursing home and has passed various bits on to them which will reduce their set-up costs considerably.

Needless to say, DS2 will get his own room back, though maybe only for a couple of months depending on where he works when Uni's over.

I'm going to miss them though I hardly see J as her hours and mine are opposites. The new flat's in walking distance, so we should find it easy to visit.

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons, dress 7 coupons = 12/68
  • Cherryfudge
    Options
    They haven't quite gone yet, despite L's hard work moving furniture and boxes. He's working tomorrow as far as I know so I think the move will be on Saturday.

Work has been very tiring this week and I've put in extra hours. Tomorrow I'm on leave though when I looked at the staffing levels I rashly put myself down for a few hours, then withdrew it shortly after. I've already worked through a day off this week, and last night I was too tired to sleep for some time, in addition to which I had a weird muscular pain in my leg which I can't account for, like a muscle spasm. That's continued today but ibuprofen has it under control.

Spending:
    Housekeeping £6.58
    Gift £1.00
    MS:
    L gave us a very desirable table lamp which they had had from his parents, but J doesn't like it and it looks good in our lounge.
    Good coffee on discount (saved £2).
    Managed to rescue some of DD's laundry from a colour run.
    Decluttering:
    Six jars to the eco shop.

And I'm thankful for a sunny day without the promised thunderstorms, getting some laundry done (the washing machine has developed foibles) and chocolate for supper. :)

• Cherryfudge
    Options
    So it's Friday and I'm on Annual Leave with a weekend off to follow - and I'm glad I took today off because even though it leaves work understaffed, I was seriously in need of a rest. As it was I got to sleep a bit earlier last night and woke up a bit later this morning and feel better for it. Even the mysterious muscle spasms I had in my leg have gone away - though that was probably a mixture of ibuprofen and steady walking rather than sleep.

So here I am with a head full of jobs that need doing and which I'll list. Please don't feel you have to wade through them: I can't tell if you do or not. :)
    So far I've taken in the dry washing (DD's whites came out beautifully after the stain remover, thankfully) and put our room curtains through the wash. The washing machine sounds like Ryanair taking off but that may be because it's pulled out of its usual place as the hose buckles otherwise. That was the source of the stinky smell. :(
    I've emptied the upstairs bins and put the combustibles in the fire - better than landfill, I reckon.
    Still to do:
    Finish tidying the kitchen, which looks like the before picture in a programme on cleaning.
    Empty kitchen bin.
    The rescued orchid is looking sad so I should look up the instructions a friend sent me for reviving it.
    Make a decision about our wobbly ironing board: if I can straighten it I will, or buy another.
    Go back to that basket I left online and see if the tee shirts I wanted are available yet.

• VelvetFreak
    VelvetFreak Posts: 573 Forumite
    Options
    Happy Friday Cherry! I bet you are glad to have some time off. I’ll tell you a secret. I don’t use an ironing board, I just iron things on the bed :o
  • Cherryfudge
    Options
    Happy Friday Cherry! I bet you are glad to have some time off. I’ll tell you a secret. I don’t use an ironing board, I just iron things on the bed :o
    Ah, that takes brains! I never thought of that! :D

• Cherryfudge
    Options
    A fair amount has been achieved: the curtains are ironed and back in the bedroom, yesterday's laundry is dried and put away, I went to the £ shop and got some bargains (for instance chalk-effects pens, £5.99 for one elsewhere, £1 for three here) and spent some time cleaning some more jars to go to the eco shop and descaling appliances.

Of the list, I've done more than I've left:
    Finish tidying the kitchen, which looks like the before picture in a programme on cleaning. - one larder shelf deep cleaned and rearranged, elsewhere tidier and cleaner.
    Empty kitchen bin. Done
    The rescued orchid is looking sad so I should look up the instructions a friend sent me for reviving it. watered but nothing more.
    Make a decision about our wobbly ironing board: if I can straighten it I will, or buy another. It's straighter, not perfect but better.
    Go back to that basket I left online and see if the tee shirts I wanted are available yet. They are... still browsing though. :D
    I've used up a carton of long life milk from the larder, bought a new tin opener and cleaned a bit in the lounge. DH has done some cleaning upstairs which was good of him as he had a long day. He then had a phone call from his sister to say DFiL is a bit confused which is concerning. It's only to do with how old he is: he is a year younger than he thinks, but for an accountant that isn't what I'd expect. DH is going to take him out for coffee tomorrow so we'll see how he seems then.

My day off has done me good and it's nice that I have more of them to look forward to.

Spending:
    Housekeeping £9.72
    Stamps £8.40
    Household £1.99
    Ebook £1.90
    MS:
    £ shop bargains especially those pens.
    Searched a bit further and found a £1 tin opener though I'm not sure how long it will last. Mind you, more expensive ones often seem to die off pretty quickly.
    Discovered large onions are currently relatively cheap so I have started a mini stockpile. Buying small ones because they are cheaper weight for weight is exasperating but I generally do it!
    Decluttering:
    A carton of milk (now rice pudding).
    Reunited some lids with their jars - my glass storage jars have lasted me years but they do sometimes get separated.

Today I'm thankful for a rest and nice clean areas around the home. I feel as though I'm turning it back into 'ours'... we've been compromising for the comfort of our family members and I'm glad we've spent the time with them but it's undoubtedly easier if we have our own space. :)

• VelvetFreak
    VelvetFreak Posts: 573 Forumite
    Options
    Sounds like a nice and productive day. It’s great that you have the house to yourselves again :)
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Honeysucklelou2 Posts: 4,657 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sounds like you've packed in a lot in your day off. Have a lovely weekend!
    paydbx2024 #2 £480/£5000 . Mortgage £144k start ~ £148k Jun 23 -
    2024 savings challenge £5/£2000
    EF £140. Savings 2 £30.00. Weekly savings envelope #17
  • Cherryfudge
    Options
    Well, here we are with a weekend, and it's been all go chez Fudge so far. DS2 has set off to help my sister move things from the old house to their UK base: not uneventfully as he'd hired a van in town A only to get a last-minute email to say there were none available. He can't hire one locally due to being under 25 but not all firms specify this so he has had to go to town B for a different hire company. Anyway he's set off and so have J and L, who are headed to that Swedish place where they do meatballs, to buy a bed and a sofa.
    Then A came round to borrow a ladder: they came back from their holidays yesterday and now have H's sister and family staying with them, which means DIY as her husband is an electrician. (So we aren't the only place where it's all go).

DH is out with DFiL… he'll be back for an early lunch then we are headed out for the afternoon (probably an RHS place). In the meantime I want to:
    wash my hair
    get a new home card for J&L
    make a cake
    charge my Kindle
    take some bits to the charity shop

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure