Leaving Dual Fuel

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
7 replies 598 views
da_ruleda_rule Forumite
3.6K Posts
Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
I can find my energy cheaper by having different suppliers for gas and electric. I am currently on a dual fuel tariff. Is transferring just a case of switching the gas and then switching the electric (or vice versa)? Also, is it easy to switch back to a dual fuel tariff should that become cheaper?

Thanks

Replies

  • SystemSystem Forumite
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Do them both together. You can switch back to dual fuel at any time. The gaining suppliers will handle the switches and they will ask for meter readings at the appropriate time.
  • teddysmumteddysmum Forumite
    9.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hengus wrote: »
    Do them both together. You can switch back to dual fuel at any time. The gaining suppliers will handle the switches and they will ask for meter readings at the appropriate time.



    But even to one supplier, they don't necessarily go on the same date, do they ?
  • da_ruleda_rule Forumite
    3.6K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    teddysmum wrote: »
    But even to one supplier, they don't necessarily go on the same date, do they ?

    I would assume not. I think I read somewhere that gas takes longer than electric?
  • SystemSystem Forumite
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    da_rule wrote: »
    I would assume not. I think I read somewhere that gas takes longer than electric?

    FWIW, my transfers to Iresa were one day apart. A year or so ago, the transfers were separated by 3 months. E.oN kept me on my old fixed tariff rates.
  • da_ruleda_rule Forumite
    3.6K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Iresa was one of the ones I was looking at, how are they?
  • SystemSystem Forumite
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    da_rule wrote: »
    Iresa was one of the ones I was looking at, how are they?

    Cheap compared to the competition. Read the feedback forum, Trustpilot and Facebook.
  • footyguyfootyguy Forumite
    4.2K Posts
    da_rule wrote: »
    I can find my energy cheaper by having different suppliers for gas and electric. I am currently on a dual fuel tariff. Is transferring just a case of switching the gas and then switching the electric (or vice versa)? Also, is it easy to switch back to a dual fuel tariff should that become cheaper?

    Thanks

    Yes, you just apply to switch each fuel seperately. You can do this via the comparison site assuming commission is payable for either/both new tariffs.

    You can switch back to dual fuel at any time, either with one of the new suppluers you are choosing, or an entirely different supplier (including the old supplier you left)

    The only slight difficulty that may arise is if you switch to seperate tariffs that have early exit fees is when they may have different end dates.
    e.g. your electricity tariff may be fixed for 12 months from date of switch, whilst your gas tariff may be fixed until say 31 July 2018.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Card providers to reserve up to £100

When you pay at supermarket fuel pumps

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals