NPower to Iresa

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
17 replies 3.3K views
AndyPKAndyPK Forumite
4.2K Posts
Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
Well I kicked off a transfer of my elec from Npower to IRESA some time ago.

Yesterday I rang Npower to schedule a move from one gas tariff to another. I asked at the end whether my elec transfer had done thru. They said yes.

Today I get an email from IRESA saying Npwr had blocked the move. So I phone NPwr up to ask why. They tell me because my elec is in debit.

Now Npwr take the money out my account via DD quarterly. So I have no control of when I pay them :(

Plus I'm staying with them for gas anyway, so not doing a runner.

They said they would ring a department to get the block removed and I should pay the outstanding elec money.

I guess they realised they had made a mistake, but weren't telling me.

So I look at my bill and the DD is due to come out tomorrow :doh:

So I need to ask IRESA to have another go.

Replies

• edited 28 February 2017 at 8:37PM
    footyguyfootyguy Forumite
    4.2K Posts
    edited 28 February 2017 at 8:37PM
    AndyPK wrote: »

Yesterday I rang Npower to schedule a move from one gas tariff to another. I asked at the end whether my elec transfer had done thru. They said yes.

Today I get an email from IRESA saying Npwr had blocked the move. So I phone NPwr up to ask why. They tell me because my elec is in debit.

Now Npwr take the money out my account via DD quarterly. So I have no control of when I pay them :(

They said they would ring a department to get the block removed and I should pay the outstanding elec money.

For a supplier to prevent you switching because of a debt, you need to be officially in debt to them.
    For that to occur, they must have produced a demand (a bill) at least 28 days previously that you have failed to pay.

Check the last but one bill they sent you, then check with your bank that it was paid by DD. The bill will state the date the DD should have been collected - the date will usually be about 2 weeks after the bill date; certainly not over 4 weeks.
    Check similarly the dates of that last bill you received that is due for collection tomorrow.
    (rather than going back in history, alternatively you can check to see if any debt has been brought foreward on that bill)

If you paid the last but one bill (or no debt was brought forewrad), then:
    1. Ask for a full explanation as to how you are in debt to the supplier.
    2. Do not pay any more money until they produce a proper bill for that amount, especially if a payment is due out tomorrow (as that cannot now be stopped by the supplier)

If appropriate, I suggest you raise a formal complaint, and should expect a nice goodwill gesture from them if you are not officially in debt to them.
  • edited 28 February 2017 at 8:58PM
    AndyPKAndyPK Forumite
    4.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 28 February 2017 at 8:58PM
    Thanks for the info.

I must admit I didn't like them telling me I was in debt 3 times lol.
    And all over 50 quid.

Payments are upto date.

What I'm miffed about is that your meant to stay on the same tariff if a switch is underway. Well my fix ends tomorrow! So I hope I don't end up on their expensive standard tariff !

As long as I move before their increase on 16 March I'll be happy!

Oh and the funny thing i forgot to mention I got a "Your energy supply is starting - send us your meter readings" email from Npower today. It says my supply will start on x November 2000. Yes 2000 ! Probably when my house was built.

Maybe that's because the elec has bounced back!
  • teddysmumteddysmum Forumite
    9.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info.

And all over 50 quid.

Payments are upto date.

What I'm miffed about is that your meant to stay on the same tariff if a switch is underway. Well my fix ends tomorrow! So I hope I don't end up on their expensive standard tariff !

Oh and the funny thing i forgot to mention I got a "Your energy supply is starting - send us your meter readings" email from Npower today. It says my supply will start on x November 2000. Yes 2000 ! Probably when my house was built.

That is my fear expressed on another thread. Specifically if you transfer both fuels but one goes ahead of the other . If the remaining fuel is still inside the fix date, will it be charged at standard rate because the account is no longer duel fuel, which is a requisite of that fix?
  • AndyPKAndyPK Forumite
    4.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was on different Npower tariffs anyway.

Elec ends Feb
    Gas ends April
  • footyguyfootyguy Forumite
    4.2K Posts
    Thanks for the info.

And all over 50 quid.

Payments are upto date.

I'm not sure there is anything universal that says a supplier must maintain you on an existing tariff that has expired if you are switching. Some suppliers allow this in their terms, but otherwise you have 50 days before youir tariff ends to switch. Switching should take 17 days, and no longer than 35 days.

Furthermore, if the supplier has (apparently incorrectly in this instance) prevented you from switching, they would have no active switch request before your tariff ends, hence they probably will put you on their standard variable tariff today.

Another reason you should complain, as you will have lost out financially due to nPower apparently erroneously having prevented your switch. Ask nPower to compensate you for the financial loss you incur.

The notice you have received from nPower presumably just has the wrong date on (sounds like incorrect computer merging, resulting in a default date being used). It is probably because you are being transferred to their standard variable tariff today following the expiry of your fixed tariff.
  • footyguyfootyguy Forumite
    4.2K Posts
    I was on different Npower tariffs anyway.

Elec ends Feb
    Gas ends April

What have you applied for with Iresa? A dual fuel tariff?
    Does your existing gas tariff with nPower have any early exit fees? If so, and you have applied to switch already, you will suffer those.
  • SystemSystem Forumite
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    footyguy wrote: »
    I'm not sure there is anything universal that says a supplier must maintain you on an existing tariff that has expired if you are switching. Some suppliers allow this in their terms, but otherwise you have 50 days before youir tariff ends to switch. Switching should take 17 days, and no longer than 35 days.

Furthermore, if the supplier has (apparently incorrectly in this instance) prevented you from switching, they would have no active switch request before your tariff ends, hence they probably will put you on their standard variable tariff today.

Another reason you should complain, as you will have lost out financially due to nPower apparently erroneously having prevented your switch. Ask nPower to compensate you for the financial loss you incur.

The notice you have received from nPower presumably just has the wrong date on (sounds like incorrect computer merging, resulting in a default date being used). It is probably because you are being transferred to their standard variable tariff today following the expiry of your fixed tariff.

SLC24.9 is, I think the relevant Condition

Continuation of Fixed Term Supply Contract terms for interim period

24.9 In relation to each Fixed Term Supply Contract, unless the Domestic Customer has entered into a new Fixed Term Supply Contract with the licensee or paragraph 22C.5 of standard condition 22C applies, the licensee must ensure that where paragraph 24.10 applies a Domestic Customer will continue to be subject to the same Charges for the Supply of Gas and the same terms and conditions (but not any Termination Fee) that applied to that Fixed Term Supply Contract until they have changed their supplier.

24.10 This paragraph applies where one of the following conditions are satisfied:

(a) no later than 20 Working Days after (but not including) the date on which the fixed term period of a Fixed Term Supply Contract ends, the licensee receives Notice under the Network Code by way of the Relevant Gas Shipper that another Gas Supplier will begin to supply the Domestic Customer’s Domestic Premises within a reasonable period of time; and

(b) another Gas Supplier begins to supply the Domestic Customer’s Domestic Premises within a reasonable period of time after the date on which the Notice referred to in sub-paragraph 24.10(a) is given; or

(c) where:

(i) the conditions in sub-paragraphs 24.10(a) and (b) are met; and
    (ii)the Domestic Customer has paid any Outstanding Charges within 30 Working Days after the Domestic Customer receives Notice that the licensee intends to prevent the Domestic Customer’s Proposed Supplier Transfer.

24.11 In relation to each Fixed Term Supply Contract, where paragraph 22C.5 of standard condition 22C does not apply and a Domestic Customer has entered into a new Fixed Term Supply Contract with the licensee, the licensee must ensure that where paragraph 24.12 applies a Domestic Customer will continue to be subject to the same Charges for the Supply of Gas and the same terms and conditions (but not any Termination Fee) that applied to that Fixed Term Supply Contract until the new Fixed Term Supply Contract comes into effect.
    24.12 This paragraph applies where a new Fixed Term Supply Contract comes into effect no later than 20 Working Days after (but not including) the date on which the fixed term period of a Fixed Term Supply Contract ends.
  • nPowernPower Organisation Representatives - Private Messages may not be monitored
    1.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭

Hi AndyPK,

Thanks for your post. Sorry that you have experienced difficulties in changing supply.

I can certainly take a closer look at this for you, if you would like to send me an email using the address from my profile with your account details.

Thanks

Phil :)
    Official Company Representative"
    I am the official company representative of nPower. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to [email protected] This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE.
    If we ask you to contact us, please do so using [email protected] - MSE Forum has temporarily allowed the display of our contact details in our signature due to a technical issue with our profile
  • AndyPKAndyPK Forumite
    4.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    That you for your offer of assistance. I have just emailed your address with my details.

Kind Regards
    Andy
  • AndyPKAndyPK Forumite
    4.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    footyguy wrote: »
    What have you applied for with Iresa? A dual fuel tariff?
    Does your existing gas tariff with nPower have any early exit fees? If so, and you have applied to switch already, you will suffer those.

I only requested the Electricity to move over. It was before NPower were widely using exit fee's and was well within the 50 days in any case.

The NPower Gas tariff is very competitive. It will only cost me £30 a year more when compared to IRESA. As I would like to keep some business with NPower and as I don't wish to read my Gas meter monthly I'm happy to pay the extra £30 to stay with NPower.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Students - apply for uni funding NOW

If you plan to get a place via 'clearing'

MSE News

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides