Eastern Europe holidays

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning
28 replies 3.9K views
dori2odori2o Forumite
8.2K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
✭✭✭✭
Given our massive change in circumstances since last July Mrs D and I have been contemplating a foreign holiday next year.

Neither one of us are into sitting on a beach all day and the overcrowded over-expensive popular destinations of Spain etc dont float my boat.

A few people we once knew have been to the Eastern European countries and seem to have enjoyed it, and from a quick browse online some of these countries look beautiful, and in terms of economy its cheaper for us to fly and have 7 nights in Krakow in a 4 star hotel, than 7 nights in Devon in a travelodge/holiday inn/premier inn.

Does anyone have any experience/recomendations for holidays in these eastern europe/former soviet block countries
[SIZE=-1]To equate judgement and wisdom with occupation is at best . . . insulting.
[/SIZE]

Replies

• DomRavioliDomRavioli
    3.1K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've only ever been on city breaks, but had to advise that there are plenty of resorts on the med that are practically untouched by your typical holidaymaker, so please don't rule everything out because of some benidorm types when there are amazing places in every country. Nerja is usually not looked at by Brits along with Mijas (both near Malaga).
  • mgdavidmgdavid Forumite
    6.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    dori2o wrote: »

Does anyone have any experience/recomendations for holidays in these eastern europe/former soviet block countries

Yes; they're mostly just like the rest of western Europe.
    The Berlin wall came down over a quarter of a century ago....
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • PeacefulWatersPeacefulWaters Forumite
    8.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Krakow, Prague and Bratislava are nice from my experience.

Train travel between many of these cities is cheap too. You could easily do a couple of days in each of Vienna, Bratislava and Budapest connecting by train (or boat from Vienna to Bratislava).

Lots of choices. Usually cheap for hotels and food off the main streets. And from my experience good with English.

Just avoid taxis!
  • elsienelsien Forumite
    25.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sunny Beach? :D
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • AmesAmes Forumite
    18.5K Posts
    Do you want history, if so how old, architecture, atmosphere?

Will you be taking your scooter or just the wheelchair? If the latter you'd need to either go to somewhere small or check on public transport rules.

Krakow is lovely, and quite small so you can get around fairly easily. I haven't been to the castle because it would be too big for me. There's Auschwitz, the Schindler museum (it's a while since I went but I don't recall accessibility being great at the latter), the Jewish quarter.

Budapest is also nice, with museums, but so spread out you'd need public transport, Prague might be a bit better if you stay in the centre.

It's not Eastern Europe, but I love Berlin. They're really committed to accessibility - they call it 'barrier free travel' and there are more museums than you could visit in a week, so loads to do. It's pretty cheap, and the atmosphere is really laid back.

Don't forget to take into account getting around the airport when you go, I'd suggest flying from a smaller one like Liverpool than Manchester.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • AmesAmes Forumite
    18.5K Posts
    mgdavid wrote: »
    Yes; they're mostly just like the rest of western Europe.
    The Berlin wall came down over a quarter of a century ago....

But they do have a layer of history from the communist era that Western cities don't have. And can be much cheaper.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • FortyfootFortyfoot Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.grofija.com/

We loved it.

Fortyfoot
  • DCFC79DCFC79 Forumite
    40.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Montenegro on the coast is meant to be nice.
  • asajjasajj Forumite
    5K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bosnia, Montenegro, Croatia all are worth visiting.
    ally.
  • andrewf75andrewf75 Forumite
    10.4K Posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been to many of these countries including more obscure ones like Albania and Ukraine and you'll have a great time anywhere - except Sunny Beach obviously as someone has mentioned!.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Top savings accounts

Up to 1.7% fixed or 0.6% easy access

MSE Guides

24 craft beers for £26 delivered

Flavourly newbies only (norm £70ish)

MSE Deals