IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Spelling error in name of 'offender' - does this invalidate?

Options
My wife (from whom I am now separated) got a ticket and did exactly what one shouldn't do, ie she ignored it. Needless to say, we are now at BW Legal stage and close to a court case. It is my problem simply because the car was registered to the address where I now live without her (although her name is still on the mortgage), so any bailiffs/effect on credit rating of address will see me penalised for something which has nothing to do with me.

I don't want to dump her in it by telling them where she lives now, but I am not prepared to deal with the repercussions of her inability to address the initial ticket, regardless of the fact that it was totally unjustified. Her name is spelled incorrectly on all the paperwork - can I legitimately ring BW Legal and tell them that no one of that name has ever lived at the address, and will it get them off my back if I do?

Comments

• Johno100
    Johno100 Posts: 5,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Well you can, but they are likely to carry on regardless hoping they'll get a judgment in default when they take it through the County Court.

BTW how is your wife's named spelt on the V5 (AKA the log book) for the vehicle, correctly or how BW Legal have spelt it?
  • fisherjim
    fisherjim Posts: 6,039 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 28 February 2017 at 1:52PM
    Options
    She is dumping herself in it by not altering her details with the DVLA, and anyone else who needs or wants to get information to her!

Also as I see it if as Johno100 says they take her to court and get a default judgement it will be your house they will be descending on!
  • liamb_2
    liamb_2 Posts: 52 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    No, it is correct with the DVLA but they have made a mistake when doing the initial paperwork, I presume.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,747 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    liamb wrote: »
    My wife (from whom I am now separated) got a ticket and did exactly what one shouldn't do, ie she ignored it. Needless to say, we are now at BW Legal stage and close to a court case. It is my problem simply because the car was registered to the address where I now live without her (although her name is still on the mortgage), so any bailiffs/effect on credit rating of address will see me penalised for something which has nothing to do with me.

I don't want to dump her in it by telling them where she lives now, but I am not prepared to deal with the repercussions of her inability to address the initial ticket, regardless of the fact that it was totally unjustified. Her name is spelled incorrectly on all the paperwork - can I legitimately ring BW Legal and tell them that no one of that name has ever lived at the address, and will it get them off my back if I do?

Name her as driver and I think I would give her address. NO PHONE CALLS.

Why would her record affect your credit file? I think you can ask Experian to add a note that Mrs xxxxx's financial records have had no connection with Mr xxxxxx as at xx/xx/16 (check with credit reference agencies to be sure).
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Johno100
    Johno100 Posts: 5,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    fisherjim wrote: »
    Also as I see it if as Johno100 says they take her to court and get a default judgement it will be your house they will be descending on!

Correct, but to be clear for the OP (and I should have included it in my first post), the days when properties rather than the individuals who live(d) there were 'blacklisted' for credit purposes has long since gone.
  • liamb_2
    liamb_2 Posts: 52 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Many thanks to both of you for this, I had no idea that the days of 'blacklisted properties' were no more! So do I just send them a letter with her new address rather than making a phone call? It is the possibility of bailiffs which worries me to be honest.
  • fisherjim
    fisherjim Posts: 6,039 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Johno100 wrote: »
    Correct, but to be clear for the OP (and I should have included it in my first post), the days when properties rather than the individuals who live(d) there were 'blacklisted' for credit purposes has long since gone.

Agreed but there is likely to be hassle in the meantime.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure