edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
7 replies 863 views
valleyboy22valleyboy22 Forumite
370 Posts
Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
Hi,

I have just switched my energy supplier from SSE to e-on but wondering what will happen to my smart meter?
I have been told my current one with SSE will stop working and when e-on take over due to software compatibility then i will no longer be able to monitor my bills?
Is this correct does anyone know please because we always keep check on what we are spending?

Thanks

Replies

• Yes the meter will return to being a normal meter.
    .That means you have to read the meter yourself and give the readings to E.ON
  • SystemSystem Forumite
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi,

I have just switched my energy supplier from SSE to e-on but wondering what will happen to my smart meter?
    I have been told my current one with SSE will stop working and when e-on take over due to software compatibility then i will no longer be able to monitor my bills?
    Is this correct does anyone know please because we always keep check on what we are spending?

Thanks

There is an ongoing consultation to find a way to graft these first generation smart meters on to the new Data Communications Company system by 2020.
  • E.ON_Company_Representative:_HelenaE.ON_Company_Representative:_Helena Organisation Representatives - Private Messages may not be monitored
    2.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good morning valleyboy22,

gsmlnx is spot on, the meter will work fine when you change over to us, but you will have to read the meter manually and provide the meter reads. It won't be 'smart' anymore.

Hengus has also mentioned that there is ongoing work to make meters stay smart when customers do change supplier, this is something that will hopefully get going in the future.

There are a few things you can do though to monitor your usage. You can take regular reads and pop them on to your online account, you can then request a real time bill or balance, this will then show you exactly what you've used up to this point.

There's a number of features on the website and your online account to help you, have a click around and see what's best for you.

Thank you valleyboy22 and welcome to E.ON.

Helena
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to [email protected] This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • valleyboy22valleyboy22 Forumite
    370 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the replies. Bit confused on Sse annual predictions for the years gas and electricity. Know from January my usage because my smart meter tells me but when x my gas by 12 months its nowhere near what they predict. My doing something wrong?
  • In the 5 winter months you will, on average, use 70% of your yearly heating energy. So you cannot multiply a winter month by 12 to get your annual usage.
  • Hi,

Thanks

Your thread from approx 2 weeks ago asking, and getting answers to, most of the questions you ask again.
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5600646

Good luck!
  • SystemSystem Forumite
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies. Bit confused on Sse annual predictions for the years gas and electricity. Know from January my usage because my smart meter tells me but when x my gas by 12 months its nowhere near what they predict. My doing something wrong?

Annual estimations are just that - an estimation. The easiest, and in my opinion, the most accurate way to assess your usage is to look at two bills a year apart. Make sure that the readings are annotated with A or C and NOT E. You then have to make a judgement as usage year on year changes with the Winter weather. This Winter has been quite a bit colder where I live so I factor this in when calculating my projected usage.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Top savings accounts

Up to 1.7% fixed or 0.6% easy access

MSE Guides

24 craft beers for £26 delivered

Flavourly newbies only (norm £70ish)

MSE Deals