broken heater for 4 months

Options
My mum has had a broken heater for 4 months over the winter period. It worked for a day or so and then it would stop again. It would constantly stop working. She is covered by Scottish Power's Homecare service but it has taken them 4 month to fix the problem. Over 100 calls, 7 different plumbers, all fixing the wrong part of the boiler. Eventually the final plumber opened it up and immediately saw the problem and was shocked that nobody else had figured the issue out.

My mum is over 60 and is spending a fortune on this Homecare service. She still works part time but has lost a number of working hours sat waiting for boiler repairmen to arrive. Numerous times they got the wrong date or the wrong time. Intermittent hot water and (more importantly) heating over the winter periods is a big worry.

Is she entitled to some form of compensation considering the amount of work she has had to put in to get Scottish Power to do their job properly, all the hours she has lost from her job, all the expense towards additional heaters being used, not to mention the fact that she is paying for a shoddy service?

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,646 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    jimbo-2014 wrote: »
    My mum has had a broken heater for 4 months over the winter period. It worked for a day or so and then it would stop again. It would constantly stop working. She is covered by Scottish Power's Homecare service but it has taken them 4 month to fix the problem. Over 100 calls, 7 different plumbers, all fixing the wrong part of the boiler. Eventually the final plumber opened it up and immediately saw the problem and was shocked that nobody else had figured the issue out.

My mum is over 60 and is spending a fortune on this Homecare service. She still works part time but has lost a number of working hours sat waiting for boiler repairmen to arrive. Numerous times they got the wrong date or the wrong time. Intermittent hot water and (more importantly) heating over the winter periods is a big worry.

Is she entitled to some form of compensation considering the amount of work she has had to put in to get Scottish Power to do their job properly, all the hours she has lost from her job, all the expense towards additional heaters being used, not to mention the fact that she is paying for a shoddy service?
    Not quite your, or your mother's, scenario, but MSE's Failed Delivery article should offer some help.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure