Stolen iPhone - bypass IMEI block?

in Techie Stuff
6 replies 1.2K views
Had my phone stolen my some scumbags on a moped on the weekend. When trying to track it on Find my iPhone 10 mins later, it had already been deactivated..

Obviously o2 have deactivated the Sim and the handset via the IMEI number but am I right to assume that there is some jailbreak software that can bypass a subsequent IMEI block? Otherwise I don't see the point in that bothering to steal them in the first place..

Replies

• AndyPixAndyPix Forumite
    4.8K Posts
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Yep, you can assign it another imei using an octopus box.

(If you are that way inclined ;) )
  • AndyPix wrote: »
    Yep, you can assign it another imei using an octopus box.

(If you are that way inclined ;) )

Thought as much. The website for said box states can unlock all phones released up until 2015. Though again, I'll assume they can still crack a 2017 iPhone 7
    4.8K Posts
    Forumite
    Sorry i just re-read your post and realised we were talking about iphone.

No, they cant be flashed using Octopus.

What will happen here is that it will be sold off and shipped to Nigeria or somewhere.
    IMEI blocks are country specific so it will work just fine over there

unfortunately :(
  • AndyPix wrote: »
    Sorry i just re-read your post and realised we were talking about iphone.

No, they cant be flashed using Octopus.

What will happen here is that it will be sold off and shipped to Nigeria or somewhere.
    IMEI blocks are country specific so it will work just fine over there

unfortunately :(

How in this day and age are IMEI blocks only country specific still?? The mind boggles.. When this type of crime is on the up massively nowadays, something needs to be done to block phones permanently, whether here or on Mars!
    4.8K Posts
    Forumite
    I agree, its crazy .. And iv no idea why either !!
  • EdwardBEdwardB Forumite
    443 Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Posts
    Forumite
    tizzle6560 wrote: »
    How in this day and age are IMEI blocks only country specific still?? The mind boggles.. When this type of crime is on the up massively nowadays, something needs to be done to block phones permanently, whether here or on Mars!

Well I wonder if world peace might be easier :D, so many 3rd world countries survive from the crumbs from our table. I remember that documentary flying over a motorway in Africa detecting all the devices in cars that had been stolen. They did not even bother to remove the tracking devices.

However, your phone will most likely end up being broken down for parts if IMEI is blocked. They can often get more money. However, I imagine it will be fenced a few times.
    Please be nice to all MoneySavers. That’s the forum motto. Remember, the prime aim is to help provide info and resources. If you don’t like someone, their situation, their question or feel they’re intruding on ‘your board’ then please bite the bullet and think of the bigger issue. :cool::)
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Boost your Nectar points

Get up to £25 in bonus points

MSE News

Ask an Expert: Scams

Watch MSE Katie's answers to your questions

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals