Advice on tree that is regrowing

edited 26 February 2017 at 11:48PM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
6 replies 2.7K views
darkwarriordarkwarrior Forumite
228 Posts
Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
✭✭
edited 26 February 2017 at 11:48PM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
We had a really nice tree when I was a kid and it was cut down with the intention that it would grow back. It's been well over a decade and it is growing back but it's growing back like this:

312tgt4.jpg

1j20d3.jpg

Direct link for bigger:

http://i68.tinypic.com/1j20d3.jpg

http://i64.tinypic.com/312tgt4.jpg

Multiple branches coming out of the ground instead of a single tree forming. Is this normal? Are there like 8 trees growing here or just one? I'm just wondering if I should be taking these out and starting again. because if it ends up being multiple trees regrowing it's going to end up causing a lot of issues down the line.

Thanks for reading.

Replies

• DavesnaveDavesnave Forumite
    34.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many trees will grow multiple stems from a stump like this; in fact it's often very useful when they do, but the result is a hedge rather than an individual tree.

I'm not sure what your tree is, but it's well advanced so it might be an amalanchier with blossom in spring. If it is, you'll still get that, but you may not actually have the original tree there if the original was grafted. These will be suckers from the rootstock and not perform in the same way.

The stump will also go on suckering, even if you reduce the stems to one

If you want a proper single stemmed tree, you'll need to bite the bullet and have this one out. Check where your services come in though; you don't want to pull them out with it!
    People who don't stand for something will fall for anything.
  • arbrightonarbrighton Forumite
    2K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    You essentially, if unintentionally coppiced it. It will continue to grow as multiple stems.

Agree with Davesnave that a fresh start is required if you want one stem
  • darkwarriordarkwarrior Forumite
    228 Posts
    ✭✭
    So it'll never be possible to make it regrow as a single tree? Even if you get rid of all the other branches and just let one grow? That's a shame, when there is a bit more identifying features to it I'd like to identify what it is before getting rid of it all so I can at least purchase a replacement.
  • DavesnaveDavesnave Forumite
    34.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So it'll never be possible to make it regrow as a single tree? Even if you get rid of all the other branches and just let one grow?
    If it was a grafted variety, you won't have the real thing any more, but even if it wasn't, with the way things are now, you'll be forever taking out suckers from the base.

This happens with a contorted hazel I have, which throws up straight stems every year from the base. Can't stop it. Luckily, I don't think contorted anything's attractive, so the whole thing will go the next time I have a digger here!
    People who don't stand for something will fall for anything.
  • ApodemusApodemus Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you really want to save this particular tree, I would take everything but one straight stem out and let it grow on. Ruthlessly remove any other stems that appear over the course of this year. Then reassess at this point next year. You be forever removing new shoots, but it should be possible to regrow a main trunk.
  • darkwarriordarkwarrior Forumite
    228 Posts
    ✭✭
    Thanks all. I'm going to try and find an old photo of it so I can identify it, then dig it out and buy a new one. It's a shame, and obviously not what we expected, but the drive way is so narrow already, this tree growing out onto the drive just can't stay.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Virgin Media & O2 launch Volt

Aims to boost mobile data & broadband speeds

MSE News

Cheap pet insurance

Top comparisons & hot deals

MSE Guides