Lent - Giving up or taking up? Post your resolutions here

edited 26 February 2017 at 7:17PM in Sports and Fitness MoneySaving
9 replies 3.6K views
belfastgirl23belfastgirl23 Forumite
8K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
✭✭✭✭
edited 26 February 2017 at 7:17PM in Sports and Fitness MoneySaving
I thought it would be worth having a thread for anyone making health or fitness related resolutions for Lent. For those who don't know, Lent begins on Ash Wednesday (this year Wed 1st March) and lasts for 40 days, ending on Easter Sunday. Traditionally Christians choose to do something which feels like a significant sacrifice to them, often related to food (giving up meat, fasting, giving up a particularly enjoyed foodstuff) or to religion (daily attendance at a religious service for example). This is my potted interpretation based on catholic schooling by the way, for more info see here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lent

I'm not particularly religious these days but I like the idea of creating a time-bound new habit. This year I'm going to give up chocolate (this will feel like a significant wrench for me). I'm also thinking of taking up a 10 minute yoga practice every day but haven't decided on this yet.

Anyone want to join in? You still have a few days to decide what you might like to either take up or give up.

Replies

• fairy_lightsfairy_lights Forumite
    9.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm going to give up chocolate, cake, sweets, and other confectionary. I have a major sweet tooth and need to go cold turkey for a while to get it under control. I like the idea of giving things up for lent because I think it's a lot more achievable than trying to give something up forever - 40 days is a manageable period and is long enough to break a habit.
    Last year I gave up caffeine and that was pretty tough.
  • edited 27 February 2017 at 9:53PM
    AmaraAmara Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Uniform Washer
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 27 February 2017 at 9:53PM
    I'm giving up alcohol and sweets, but I'll allow myself for biscuit after tea.
    1 debt vs 100 days challenge part 35 100/300
    Gaining assets :T
  • I'm giving up sweets. I stopped the alcohol last September, apart from a snowball at Christmas and a sherry at new year. I stopped eating crisps for a while just after Christmas and only started eating them again last week, but just the odd packet. I'm quite proud of myself as I usually struggle giving up treats as I'm greedy haha
  • kkgree1kkgree1 Forumite
    328 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    I'm giving up coffee (but not tea, I need some caffeine!). I'm also continuing to get back into running after having a break over the winter.
    Mortgage free wannabe
    Mortgage (November 2010) £135,850
    Mortgage (November 2020) £4,784
  • definitely giving up the sweets! my sweet tooth is getting out of control...
    CCCC #33: £42/£240
    DFW: £4355/£4405
  • belfastgirl23belfastgirl23 Forumite
    8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    First day of lent and I avoided the chocolate chunk shortbread at a work do today. I did bring an apple figuring that I'd need something as a distraction, and it worked pretty well :) hope you're all doing ok! I'm already more or less off the booze for weight loss reasons but I'm very impressed by the coffee goal, don't think I could manage that!

• melanzanamelanzana Forumite
    4K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    For the observers...

I had meat in a lovely cottage pie.

I had a glass of wine.

I will have a few squares of chocolate later.

I will not deny myself anything in moderation.

I am a heathen with absolutely no self control. But no hang ups either. LOL.

Each to their own I suppose.
  • kerri_gtkerri_gt Forumite
    10.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Xmas Saver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had very little alcohol since new year due to training....I am starting to count the days until I don't have to think 'just one, I'm running tomorrow'
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• SaffagalSaffagal Forumite
    673 Posts
    I'm not overly religious, but like the defined time period of Lent. I decided to do three things for lent this year:
    1) Give up chocolate (because I eat chocolate daily and my waistline needs a reduction).
    2) Cycle for 20min every day (have an exercise bike and believe this is a manageable goal with two small children, and returning to work after 15months mat leave)
    3) Throw out/ give away/ recycle 40 bags of items - one for each day of Lent.

So far, one week in, I have cycled every day. I allowed myself one small chocolate coin but have otherwise had no chocolate. I have not however, decluttered daily, but have a plan in place that will cover the items for 2 weeks (selling some books/dvds using ziffit; three bags of baby clothes that littlest one has outgrown being freecycled and some baby equipment being cleared out - Yay).
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides

Cinema MoneySaving tips & tricks

Including year's 2for1 movies for £1

MSE Deals