Charged for repair to bike which is under guarantee

My mother bought a rather expensive bike from an independent bike shop towards the end of August last year. She has ridden it she thinks about half a dozen times since then. She decided to buy an electric bike as she is getting older and gave this bike to my son. We noticed there was a problem with the bike as soon as my son tried to ride it. His dad sayshe thinks the back cassette keeps slipping but can't fix it himself. Sons dad took the bike back to the shop on Friday and was told immediately that the problem was water damage which was not covered under the guarantee. This bike has never been wet and has been kept inside all winter. Shop owner seemed to accept this when told and said he would have a look at it in a couple of days. Next day (today) owner has phone my mother, the original owner, rather than myself/sons dad asking for £75 for the repair/labour. She has been a customer for years so I assume he thinks she will not question the cost or guarantee. He also did not tell her anything about the reason for repair/claim of water damage and being too trusting she was about to go to his shop and pay. I told her to hold off for now. Sons dad had asked owner to telephone before repairing with details of the fault but he went ahead and repaired anyway. I am not happy. This was an £800 bike built by the owner that has hardly been used. There is no damage/water dame whatsoever. He has the bike in his shop that has now been repaired without him being given the go ahead so I can't just go in and collect it , which I would have done if had had refused to repair it for free whilst under guarantee. Any advice where to go from here please?

Comments

• wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    l0uise wrote: »
    My mother bought a rather expensive bike from an independent bike shop towards the end of August last year. She has ridden it she thinks about half a dozen times since then. She decided to buy an electric bike as she is getting older and gave this bike to my son. We noticed there was a problem with the bike as soon as my son tried to ride it. His dad sayshe thinks the back cassette keeps slipping but can't fix it himself. Sons dad took the bike back to the shop on Friday and was told immediately that the problem was water damage which was not covered under the guarantee. This bike has never been wet and has been kept inside all winter. Shop owner seemed to accept this when told and said he would have a look at it in a couple of days. Next day (today) owner has phone my mother, the original owner, rather than myself/sons dad asking for £75 for the repair/labour. She has been a customer for years so I assume he thinks she will not question the cost or guarantee. He also did not tell her anything about the reason for repair/claim of water damage and being too trusting she was about to go to his shop and pay. I told her to hold off for now. Sons dad had asked owner to telephone before repairing with details of the fault but he went ahead and repaired anyway. I am not happy. This was an £800 bike built by the owner that has hardly been used. There is no damage/water dame whatsoever. He has the bike in his shop that has now been repaired without him being given the go ahead so I can't just go in and collect it , which I would have done if had had refused to repair it for free whilst under guarantee. Any advice where to go from here please?
    Is the guarantee transferable?
  • l0uise
    l0uise Posts: 14 Forumite
    Tried to reply doesn't seem to have gone through. Ownership wasn't mentioned I don't think as sons dad has taken my mums bikes in for repair there for a while when it is something too difficult for him to do for her himself.
  • l0uise
    l0uise Posts: 14 Forumite
    Just checked, sons dad said he told guy in shop he'd bough in on behalf of mil. Explains why he telephoned her.
  • Exposed bare metal bike parts go rusty even when left unloved in a garage. This is not really a fault just simple bike maintenance, which any bike owner should learn how to do.
  • Exposed bare metal bike parts go rusty even when left unloved in a garage. This is not really a fault just simple bike maintenance, which any bike owner should learn how to do.

How do you know that the problem is anything to do with rusting of parts?
    It's also not totally correct to state that exposed bare metal parts go rusty.
    It's only metal parts made from iron or alloys of iron that rust.
  • Shaka_Zulu
    Shaka_Zulu Posts: 1,689 Forumite

What is rust? Iron Oxide

Most metals oxides (ie rust) to a greater or lesser extent.
  • Shaka_Zulu wrote: »
    What is rust? Iron Oxide

Most metals oxides (ie rust) to a greater or lesser extent.
    Most metals corrode but only iron or iron alloys can rust.
    Rust is a form of metal corrosion but not all metal corrosion is a form of rusting.
  • How do you know that the problem is anything to do with rusting of parts?
    It's also not totally correct to state that exposed bare metal parts go rusty.

Because the OP said the problem was with gear shifting so there is deffinately one part in the drivechain that will rust and that is the chain.

In reality the rear mech and sprockets probably just needed a clean, fit new chain and adjust and it will be as good as new, but that is just regular maintenance not a faulty product.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure