Taking children to play football - special insurance needed?

Options
aom_ref
aom_ref Posts: 16 Forumite
edited 25 February 2017 at 4:05PM in Insurance & life assurance
Hi folks, hoping some of the people who work in the insurance industry can help with this.

My son is 6 and plays football in a team with kids the same age. The team is run by a company and we pay fees each month, similar to a dance school/academy set up. We've been invited to play in a tournament in the north of England (we're based in the west coast of Scotland) and to save money the parents have decided that rather than hire a bus we'd each drive our own cars down. The way I see this working is that every kid who travels will have their parent in the car with them although it may be another parent who is driving as there are a couple of non-driving families within the team.

However, one parent has warned us not to do this as our commuting, social, domestic and pleasure insurance won't cover us, even if we only take our own kids. He's adamant that the club must have something called 'group insurance' in place in order to travel to an organised match or event and that without this we risk voiding our own policies and/or being seen as being without cover in the event of an accident. I've Googled this but it only seems to return stuff relating to travelling abroad and there's no product I can find online that would cover what he's saying we need to have. The company that runs the team do have public liability insurance in place.

My partner is the main driver on our car so she has all the policy documents saved to her one drive. I've read over these in the past and for the life of me do not recall anything saying I can't transport my son to an organised event. However, she's away for the weekend so I don't want to bother her with this right now but could do with some more definitive information as this is about to lead to people pulling out of attending the event.

Any help with this wold be greatly appreciated, even if someone can point me in the direction of the insurance type that covers situations like this?

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport