Redundancy exposed!

I work as PA for a large organisation. I'm in my 14th year there.

It is part of my role to check/work through my boss' email inbox and today have come across an email between him and our Finance Director to say that I am to be made redundant.

I am confused as to what to do (coupled with the fact that I can't quite think straight either). Anyone have any advice?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Do your job and pretend you didnt see it.

Brush up your CV, start applying for jobs, find out what your redundancy payoff will be and check out your pension position.
    If he asks, say you saw it but your role is to screen his emails, not to comment or gossip about the content.You want a good reference and a good pay off.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    OP was it confirmed that you were to be let go or was it more a question.

A bit strange they do it via email when part of your role is to "check/work through my boss' email inbox".
  • Mancy
    Mancy Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 24 February 2017 at 7:50PM
    Thanks for your replies.

Yes, it was confirmation that he was letting me go - said he was working through the process with HR.

I think the reply via email was a momentary lapse of Friday afternoon judgement as the message has now been deleted.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Bit of a stupid move though, get your cv sorted if needed. Have a word with them next week about it.
  • Muscle750
    Muscle750 Posts: 1,075 Forumite
    If thats the best management they got god help the workers, Think i would have raised it behind closed doors with "immediate effect"
  • BobQ
    BobQ Posts: 11,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    They can only make you redundant if the job no longer exists. Is the boss going to manage without a PA or share a PA with another post?

This might help you.

https://www.gov.uk/redundant-your-rights/overview
    Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are incapable of forming such opinions.
  • Mancy
    Thank you for all your replies and suggestions.

Pretty amazingly, there has been further email discussion about me and this situation yesterday. It seems that HR have advised my boss to 'stop giving me active work'(!), to which my boss has questioned 'surely I can't do that as she'd realise something fishy was going on'.

I think I need to pursue a little legal advice.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,280 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Be careful. If you are going to discuss it with any then let it only be your boss. Talking to anybody else immediately drops you into the area of breaching trust. That could save them having to make you redundant.
  • Mancy
    unforeseen wrote: »
    Be careful. If you are going to discuss it with any then let it only be your boss. Talking to anybody else immediately drops you into the area of breaching trust. That could save them having to make you redundant.

Hi Unforeseen, many thanks for your reply.

I wonder if you're able to elaborate on the above at all, as I don't quite understand the implication.

Many thanks
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,280 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Your boss trusts you to deal with his emails in a confidential manner. If you start discussing the contents with anyone but your boss, then you have breached his trust in you.

It would probably be considered a disciplinary matter. It MAY be considered gross misconduct
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure