Charging 2005 Corsa Battery

Options

Comments

• dld2s
    dld2s Posts: 441 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Uniform Washer
    edited 26 February 2017 at 10:18AM
    Options
    I have one of those and it sounds like the same model, a red light comes on when charging and a green light comes on when charged, you can also test if battery in boost pack is full by pushing button below the lights,green light will show if its good or red light if it's needing charged, anytime I've used it, it has started car
    maybe you have a faulty one?
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    ...or maybe the problem isn't the car's battery.
  • tower
    tower Posts: 264 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If the problem is the car not starting it maybe a bad return (negative) from the ECU unit. Quite a common fault on Corsa's.
    On my son's car I ran a temporary fly lead from battery to the mounting screw of ECU to prove it. Once confirmed I ran a new cable to a new earth point on bulkhead and it worked fine.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Options
    OP hasn't taken a logical approach to this, all we can do is make assumptions based on logical steps we would have taken. In other words, we're all just p1ssing into the wind.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • Mr.Generous
    Options
    Having just recently replaced a battery on my Wife's small car I will give you a run down of what happened.

One Saturday morning car turned over very sluggish so I charged battery - it charged relatively quickly with a puny 4ah charger so I assume it was holding no where near its stated capacity. (IE the battery is on the way out after only 10 years too!*)

Worked ok for a couple of weeks then one cold morning it wouldn't start. Drove wife to work, ordered new battery from Euro Car parts for something like £40, picked it up, fitted it, donated old battery to neighbour who has a tow bar and trailer business so recycles them.

No more problems, car starts, we get on with life. No faffing about with expensive boosters and repeated attempts to nurse a knackered battery.

PLEASE NOTE * depicts sarcasm.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    RealGem wrote: »
    With this one, you can boost for up to 10 minutes. I don't fancy sitting in my car waiting 10 minutes, when it AINT DOIN JACK!
    Why would you wait 10 minutes?
    I did do that, and it didn't start the car.
    Did you try to start the car with the booster pack connected?
  • RealGem
    RealGem Posts: 569 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why would you wait 10 minutes?

The instructions say not to connect it for more than 10 minutes, so that is potentially how long it COULD be connected.
    Did you try to start the car with the booster pack connected?

Yes, of course! I said I followed the instructions.
    Look at it this way... In a hundred years who's gonna care?
  • RealGem
    RealGem Posts: 569 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Strider590 wrote: »
    OP hasn't taken a logical approach to this, all we can do is make assumptions based on logical steps we would have taken. In other words, we're all just p1ssing into the wind.

Sorry you feel that way. If it's not obvious, I have never used a device like this before, and have limited knowledge of car batteries. A lot of people here clearly have much more experience with them, and I am grateful for the advice.

Also I have only just found your earlier post about replacing the old battery, rather than boosting it.

Yes, I realise that now. I shall replace the battery.

thanks
    Look at it this way... In a hundred years who's gonna care?
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    That is what I am trying to establish! I said I don't know if it is the booster or the car battery that is faulty.

So how do you know the problem with the car is the battery and not something else?.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Let's go back a step, OP.

Go out to the car, and turn the key.

What happens? Don't just say "It won't start" - HOW won't it start?
    Is the starter motor turning or not?
    Is it turning really slowly?
    If it isn't turning, is there a "click" when you turn the key?
    Are the headlights dim and the wipers slow?
    Did you have the charge warning light on last time you used the car?
    Does the charge warning light come on when you turn the ignition on, but don't try to start the engine?

Do you have a voltmeter, a multimeter, or anything like that?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure