We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Where should I register and insure my car?
Hello,
I'm looking to buy my first car soon. I'm 22, I live in London and my parents live in a small village in Cambridgeshire with no public transport at all. The quotes for insuring a small car in London are around £1500, the quotes for the same car in Cambridgeshire are around £500. I don't really need to use the car in London because of the tube.
Could I buy a car, register and insure it at my parents address and keep it there for when I visit them? I'd also like to use it to visit my family in Dorset, for general holidays in the UK etc. It would probably not be in London more than a few weeks through out the year even though that's where I would spend most of my time.
I'm worried that if I had an accident in London whilst driving it, the insurance company would say my insurance was void. I'd obviously discuss this with insurers before purchasing a car, but I wondered if anybody knew what their response was likely to be.
Thanks
I'm looking to buy my first car soon. I'm 22, I live in London and my parents live in a small village in Cambridgeshire with no public transport at all. The quotes for insuring a small car in London are around £1500, the quotes for the same car in Cambridgeshire are around £500. I don't really need to use the car in London because of the tube.
Could I buy a car, register and insure it at my parents address and keep it there for when I visit them? I'd also like to use it to visit my family in Dorset, for general holidays in the UK etc. It would probably not be in London more than a few weeks through out the year even though that's where I would spend most of my time.
I'm worried that if I had an accident in London whilst driving it, the insurance company would say my insurance was void. I'd obviously discuss this with insurers before purchasing a car, but I wondered if anybody knew what their response was likely to be.
Thanks
0
Comments
-
if the car is going to be stored at Cambridgeshire , the insure it from that address , as you will be "based" there , comsider moving your licence to that location as well
accept all mail from DVLA / police/and insurance to the Cambridgeshire address0 -
Given you have a residence address in London but the car will be kept at a different address, I would explain this to the insurance company before you take out the policy. It could be very difficult if you don't, have a crash in/around London and then have to try and convince the insurance company you did not lie on your application.IT Consultant in the utilities industry specialising in the retail electricity market.
4 Credit Card and 1 Loan PPI claims settled for £26k, 1 rejected (Opus).0 -
I'd have to ask if it's even worth buying a car for this kind of use? With £500 insurance never mind the depreciation, RFL, maintenance surely you could get trains everywhere you need to go and save a fortune?0
-
Or just hire a car when you're visiting home.
Unless of course, you're keeping the car in London, in which case it should be registered in London.0 -
What's the point of buying a car if you can only use it when you visit your parents? It will be a depreciating asset, and you will still have to pay to use public transport. Just hire a car when visiting your parents."You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"0
-
Where are you on the electoral roll? Surely that is your permanent address?0
-
knightstyle wrote: »Where are you on the electoral roll? Surely that is your permanent address?
Insurers generally are not interested where you're registered, just where the car is normally kept0 -
and the car will be kept in Cambridgeshire ,0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
