Dismissed from work no notice and a little lost

Please can anyone offer some advise?

I have been working for a company since the end of October 2016. (company has around 30 employees)

Went into work as normal thursday the 18th feb, slowly throughout the day members of staff kept disappearing (I now learn they have been dismissed, each being told the company is going in different direction and your needed). My turn came around 5pm just before i was leaving to go home witht he same explanationas the other people. I was told i will be paid to the end of the day and to leave straight away, obviously i was in shock and upset as its a close working team i thought this people were my friends. I had no written notice and have now looked at my contract i contacted the manager who simply said "its in hand , now im busy have a pleasent day"

So i have looked at the main to parts of the contract but unsure what it means for me and what do i do? I know i cant claim unfair but surely i am entitled to something or maybe not. How do i handle this any thoughts?
this is the part i am confussed with

Notice periods.

if either party wished to terminate employment during the probationary period, they are required to give notice in writting of at last one week, there after the minimumperiods of notice are followed.
notice from employer 4 weeks(paid in the first 4 years of service)
notice from empoyee 4 weeks.

Replies

• McKneffMcKneff Forumite
    38.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    You should receive one weeks money in lieu of notice and any accrued holiday. Pay. That is statutory minimum that they must pay you.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Thank you for reply. Does the 4 weeks not apply in this case? my probation was 3-6 month however after 3 months they told me i was not being extended to the 6 month as my perfomance was saticfactory.
  • moleratmolerat Forumite
    27.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Do you have that in writing ?

Did they give you your notice in writing ?
  • dlmcrdlmcr Forumite
    182 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Theoretically they have to give you 1 week, however: what did you do after you were told to not come back the following day? Did you come back to work the following day in order to work your notice period. Probably not, and so the argument is that they don't have to pay you for your notice period because you haven't worked it. It's the same as if you walk out without giving notice, they are (very) unlikely to pay you for the time unworked. In theory you could take them to court but what are you taking them to court for? The best you could hope for is the opportunity to work your one week notice period.. the court would not just order the employer to make a payment of 1 week just like that because you have not actually worked. I have a feeling that although unfair there is probably not really much you can do about this in this instance.
  • societys_childsocietys_child Forumite
    7.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Did you come back to work the following day in order to work your notice period. Probably not, and so the argument is that they don't have to pay you for your notice period because you haven't worked it
    Rubbish. Did you read the op?
    They were paid off and instructed to leave straight away.
  • Rubbish. Did you read the op?
    They were paid off and instructed to leave straight away.

But not in writing :/
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Fans demand refunds from Leeds Festival

...after Rage Against The Machine pulls out

MSE News

The 'Ask An Expert' event

Check out last week's energy-themed Q&A with MSE's experts

MSE Forum

Free museums & galleries

Where to get your culture fix across the UK

MSE Deals