Ooh I’ve missed you, welcome back ! 
    Sealed pot challenge 822

Jan - £176.66 :j
  • Verbatim
    Verbatim Posts: 4,830 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    From me too!
    CCs @0% £24k Dec 05 £19,621.41 Au £13400 S 12600 Oct £11,981 £9481 £7500 Nov £7250 D £7100 Jan 6950 F £5800 Mar£5400 May £4830 June £4660 July £4460 Aug £3200, S £900, £0 18/9/07 DFW Nerd 042
  • EssexHebridean
    Options
    Another hello from me too - good to see you back! 
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • Jessy103
    Jessy103 Posts: 1,837 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Good to see you back, sounds like you've had an exciting couple of years! :)
    Mortgage Balance as of Jan 24 £36,500 Starting Mortgage Balance (June 2019) £72,000. 2024 Overpayment Challenge: Jan £558.40, Feb £588.11, Mar £497.32
  • TallGirl
    TallGirl Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    lovely to have you back glad it all worked out with the houses sounds exciting.  
    Save £12k in 24 No 50
    PB Win 21 £225, 22 £275, 23 £900, Balance Mar  £30,850 + £12K added to pension) (Wins 24 Jan £200 Feb £150 Mar £75 Apr £125 May £0) 
    Plan to move to Denmark for FIRE by 2028 “May your decisions reflect your hopes not your fears”
    New diary aiming for fire https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6414795/mortgage-free-now-aiming-for-fire#latest

• brizzlegirl
    brizzlegirl Posts: 1,260 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Weyhey!!! She’s back!! Great to have you posting again Caz and glad the collection of houses in the far North is growing for you :) 
  • cazmanian_minx
    Options
    Definitely not going to buy the community hall, for several reasons.  (a) The Listed Buildings Officer is going to want all the windows reinstated correctly and that's going to be close to six figures on its own, (b) it's lath and plaster, which will probably have to be preserved, and the beautiful plaster ceilings, which are falling off in chunks because of the damp, will probably have to be reinstated, (c) I doubt very, very much whether any mezzanine floor (as the sales particulars suggest could be put in) would be allowed to touch the walls, which means going through the floor to put supports in and (d) the layout of the place means it's an awkward conversion to residential.  I'm not saying it can't be done, but it doesn't really want to be anything other than what it is, a big hall with two smaller rooms at one end and one very manky lean-to toilet.  Not one for us, but interesting to go and see it.

The good news of the week (and it's been one heck of a week) is that the agency came out to have a look at Tor to give me a steer on roughly where it was going to sit on their grading system (which used to be a standard Visit Scotland grading, but has now been tweaked very slightly to their own system), as that will determine how much I spend on equipping the kitchen.  e.g. four star and I buy Tesco Fox & Ivy crockery at £45 for 4 x plate, sideplate and cereal bowl, five star and I buy ProCook Vaasa at £79 for 4 x plate, sideplate and cereal bowl.  (Okay, I really, really wanted the mixed sets of Royal Doulton Pacific, but at £182 for six settings - no!)

Anyway, he came out, loved it, said not only five star but they'd promote it in their Luxury collection as well, and then we went through the income projections.  Bear in mind when they did this for Ethel's three years ago, it was under by about 20%.  Well, I was flipping glad I was sitting down, because their computer system reckons that if I get it up and running in the next month or two, I'll manage about £17,000-£18,000 this year, £30,000-£31,000 next year and £31,000-£32,000 the year after.  That's AFTER they've taken their commission and it'll go up even higher if I get their Customer's Choice award (which I have for Ethel's, it's given to any property maintaining an annual average customer satisfaction score of 9.5 or more) and gives a big boost to your pricing. 

So I did a bit of celebratory whooping after he'd gone and then promptly rang the building society we've got Ethel's with to see if they'd be interested on doing a remortgage on it when the discounted rate on the current mortgage expires in April, so we can get some of the equity out.  Went through all the pre-application questions, then got to the 'Have you had an income assessment done?'  Told her the figures, there was a moment of silence at the other end and then, 'I don't think we've ever had one that high before.  Yes, we'd certainly be interested in offering a mortgage on that.'  I can get the application submitted now and they'll hold off on completion until I no longer have an early repayment charge on the current one, but we need to decide whether we're going to go for the lower interest rate at 60% LTV or the higher interest rate at 75% LTV.  We have, once again, put the renovation spends on 0% cards, and 60% LTV I don't think will quite pay them off - but if the building society doesn't mind, I think I'd rather have a little bit left on the cards to pay off with the income from Tor and pay 1% less over a five-year fix.  I need to sit down with the balances and a calculator and work it all out.

As for Tor, I've agreed with the rep that I'll buy the minimum I need to stage it and then he'll come back and take photos and get it up on all their sites so we can start accepting bookings for the summer.  If I get it finished earlier, we can open up the dates, but at the moment I still need a couple of tradesmen to come out and sort niggles (well, 'niggle' being there's enough water coming in through the bottom of the gable end to dissolve the glue holding the Karndean down in the kitchen and the boiler's drunk nearly 1,000 litres of oil since Christmas Eve...), so we'll stick with a start date of June for now.
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,469 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 23 February 2020 at 9:07AM
    Options
    Wow, you are an ultra modern crofter Caz!

Transcription, holiday homes and matched betting - if only the old timey crofters had seen how globalisation was going to change their lives  :smiley:

My parents have a home in the Western Isles, you're far removed from the crofter who also drives the school bus and works weekends in the village shop ;)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback