Are value / Basic brands disappearing from the supermarkets?

Options
15678911»

Comments

• MrsStepford
    MrsStepford Posts: 1,616 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Thing is, that people who don't shop in Tesco much (like me) will pick up a brand like Eastman poitato salad and think it's an indy.

I wasn't buying Tesco Value or Tesco Everyday potato salad, I was buying Tesco own brand potato salad, from my local Tesco Express.

Now that I don't have to make a list and walk to another supermarket to save 1p per tin on value tomatoes, I am not obsessing over prices. So I wouldn't automatically think 'that's cheap potato salad, must be a re-branded value range'. I tried it, found lots of spud which seemed almost raw and after a couple of times, haven't bought it since.
  • MrsStepford
    MrsStepford Posts: 1,616 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Possible reasons
    - prices of raw materials have gone up so the supermarket can't afford to sell so cheaply
    - maybe the numbers of people in stores has fallen, just as they have for department stores eg House of Fraser and Debenhams both in trouble, so supermarkets have to cut ranges and concentrate on shoppers with more money
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    Options
    Possible reasons
    - prices of raw materials have gone up so the supermarket can't afford to sell so cheaply
    - maybe the numbers of people in stores has fallen, just as they have for department stores eg House of Fraser and Debenhams both in trouble, so supermarkets have to cut ranges and concentrate on shoppers with more money

possible reason.

If it isn't available the customer will either buy the next version upwards or branded.

Then the supermarket makes more profit per item.

So basically more money off the customer is the driving force.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income