PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Amazon delivery

Options
I wonder if I can get some advice please. (I'm sorry if this isn't the right place for it.)

I took in a parcel for one of my neighbours earlier in the week, which I've done on many occasions before. I've since heard that they have moved out. I don't know what I need to do about this parcel. Does anyone know how I can return it?

Thank you.
Mortgage and debt free :)

Comments

• McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,830 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Can you find out where they have gone
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • misty6
    misty6 Posts: 98 Forumite
    Options
    I've sent a message to a lady on facebook with the same name that's on the parcel to say I've got a parcel for her but I have no idea if this is the right person! She hasn't replied back.

I don't know where they've gone - they were renting and the place is now empty. I'm not sure how I can find them. I can't remember his name (I've had a stroke and don't retain info well) I thought about putting the parcel in the garage where I would forget about it until someone came looking for it!
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Why not contact Amazon and explain the situation to them, see what they advise?
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • misty6
    Options
    I've been looking on the amazon website but don't really know where to look. Every time I try to do anything it wants me to log in to my account. I don't have an account with them.
  • NewShadow
    NewShadow Posts: 6,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    misty6 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how I can return it?

The issue with just chucking it in the shed is that - if you don't notify them and give them a shorter reasonable deadline - they have up to 6 years to realise you have the parcel and ask for it back.

If it becomes damaged while in the shed in your care, or if you lose it or get rid of it, you can be (possibly) held liable or accused of theft.

Easy answer - Contact Amazon customer services via 0800 279 7234 (general customer service uk number) - and tell them that a parcel was left with you but that the purchaser has now moved.

They'll ask you for the name on the parcel and the postcode - then they'll either send you a returns label, ask when it's convenient for their courier to collect, or tell you that you can keep it/dispose of it.

Best of luck.
    That sounds like a classic case of premature extrapolation.

House Bought July 2020 - 19 years 0 months remaining on term
    Next Step: Bathroom renovation booked for January 2021
    Goal: Keep the bigger picture in mind...
  • misty6
    Options
    Thank you so much for this phone number. I'm old school and like to sort things out on the phone!!

I think I will leave it until after the weekend to see if she turns up and then ring on Monday if she doesn't.

Thank you :)
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Well done NewShadow. I was just poking about on the Amazon site without signing in, and it looks like you can skip the sign-in process, but it'd have been hard to put concise instructions in a post. So that phone number should solve it for Misty. :T
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • misty6
    Options
    Thank you for looking too LameWolf. :)
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    LameWolf wrote: »
    Why not contact Amazon and explain the situation to them, see what they advise?

Agreed.

In all probability they will send you (by email) a freepost label for you to send the item back to them. Once they get it - then they will credit the cost of the goods back into the account of your former neighbours.
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    The other option is to just hang onto it.

The owners will check to see its status and see it was delivered to a neighbour, then can then come to collect it if they wish.

Bit shortsighted of them to order something to arrive days before they move. They should have know they were taking a chance if it would arrive in time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure