Getting out of this debt sharknado

Options

Comments

• EmmaMicawber
    Options
    I shouldn't really be posting, I'm procrastinating- but am finding it really hard to motivate myself on job-hunting today for some reason. I've decided to give myself until the end of the month to get at least another interview otherwise I'm going to bite the bullet and apply for anything rather than jobs with skillsets similar to what I used to do - I noticed that our local pizza place is looking for drivers - I need anything that pays the bills and I quite like driving actually.

There is frustrating news on OH's bonus- it won't now be paid until March as the company needs to do some sort of accountancy thing which is annoying. Initial results look like it might be really decent though- maybe as much as £10,000 which would be amazing. I'll have to be patient for another couple of months and shouldn't count my chickens, I know. I've joined Prolific Academic but am apparently not eligible for any studies at the moment which is also annoying!

At least it's sunny here- it looks almost like Spring out of the window.
  • motivated
    motivated Posts: 3,044 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Hi Emma

My prolific account did the exact same thing. But after a short while they were coming thick and fast. I think they come in short bursts.

Fingers crossed for OHs bonus.
    M
    Emptying my lake with a teaspoon
  • EmmaMicawber
    EmmaMicawber Posts: 138 Forumite
    edited 18 January 2018 at 8:28PM
    Options
    You're right- I've been logging back in periodically (I've been SO easily distracted from job applications today) and now done quite a few!
    It's so much better than swagbucks, which I tried but quickly realised their aim is to extract every detail about you for marketing purposes and pay you a pittance. This seems much more fun, better paid and is real research by real unis (one I did was for my DD's uni- different department though). Mind you, I think the psychologisits designing some of these studies think we are a bit thick and won't see what they're really looking for ;)

Wow Motivated- I've just noticed your post count- didn't we join around the same time? I'm lagging behind a bit!!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    God this is my fave diary. You guys are so inspirational and all the best posters hang out here. Can I stay? I really want to see you succeed!
  • joeyjimbles
    joeyjimbles Posts: 2,219 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Well done you, you're doing really well.
    If you have Sainsbury's near you then look at doing the e-rewards surveys - they pay in nectar points that you can either use for your shopping there or some other stores like Argos and debenhams. I save mine for Christmas and some presents. If you log in on the nectar.com website it will give you a link to them - they pay between 100 and 300 points per survey, and 1000 points is 1000 nectar points = £5. I'm up to £20 since the start of the year.
    https://www.nectar.com/brands/e-rewards
    NF 05.24 £18.00/£00.00 £72.00/£72.00
    LD 11.24 £500.00/£397.50 (79%)    Fn £375                                                     
    Renewal 24 £400.00/£403.00      Renewal 25 £450.00/£074.75 (16%)    
    Avch 08.24 £100.00/£025.00       NPt 12.24 £250.00/£084.00
    FD £3600.00/£1200.00                 X24 £1500.00/£0750.00

• motivated
    motivated Posts: 3,044 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I actually joined in 2012 Emma but kept falling of the debt busting wagon :rotfl: I’ve put the wheels firmly back on this time and I intend to chug all the way to debt freedom :D

Care to join me
    M
    Emptying my lake with a teaspoon
  • EmmaMicawber
    EmmaMicawber Posts: 138 Forumite
    edited 19 January 2018 at 11:21AM
    Options
    Ah, fair enough M, that explains it!
    Yup, I'm going nowhere until this is all paid off so am definitely with you for the long haul:)
  • EmmaMicawber
    Options
    Well done you, you're doing really well.
    If you have Sainsbury's near you then look at doing the e-rewards surveys - they pay in nectar points that you can either use for your shopping there or some other stores like Argos and debenhams. I save mine for Christmas and some presents. If you log in on the nectar.com website it will give you a link to them - they pay between 100 and 300 points per survey, and 1000 points is 1000 nectar points = £5. I'm up to £20 since the start of the year.
    https://www.nectar.com/brands/e-rewards

Thanks for the tip Joey- I'll look into it. It all adds up doesn't it!
  • EmmaMicawber
    Options
    DirtyPaws wrote: »
    God this is my fave diary. You guys are so inspirational and all the best posters hang out here. Can I stay? I really want to see you succeed!

Aw thanks!! - and of course you're welcome to stay! It won't be the fastest debt-free journey to follow but I can guarantee I'll keep plugging away and posting and will get to the end of it eventually :)
  • EmmaMicawber
    Options
    Paid in Week 3 - £1,111
    Total paid in 2018 - £2,209
    £ to target - £27,791

DD2 has a big event for her main hobby today so we're off out early but not before my weekly update!

Positives:
    Week 3 every month is when our big loan payment goes out so that has boosted the total paid to over £2000 since Jan 1st :)

It turns out that OH's new company credit card is actually a charge card, not a credit card, so there will be no option to run up debt as it has to be paid off every month or else they fine you which is great!
    To be fair he is very committed to getting debt-free and only has the odd wobble when "I work hard so deserve to have xyz...." creeps in, especially when colleagues or friends rock up in new cars or sporting new expensive tech. I remind him that we have already spent all that money!

I'm definitely no economist but I do wonder what will happen eventually if lots of stuff which keeps the economy going (cars, tech, clothes, restaurants etc.) is all bought on credit or PCP. Surely it will be unsustainable in the long run, people will run out of credit options and there will be a big downturn- or am I missing something?

Negatives:
    A couple of tiles blew off the roof this week and need sorting urgently. It isn't worth claiming on the house insurance as it's likely to be less than the excess, but will have to come out of the emergency fund which was already looking quite depleted after Christmas. I need to tackle this at the end of the month so will have to pay less off the credit cards next month.

Still no job interviews this week. Time is running out.......the pizza delivery application is going in on the 31st!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure