Getting out of this debt sharknado

Options
1111213141517»

Comments

• DancingInTheRain
    Options
    Hi just read through your diary, what a journey! Just shows what can be achieved, well done to you and your DH & I'm sure you'll find a way reach your DFD if your previous progress is anything to go by. Will be cheering you on :beer:
  • EmmaMicawber
    EmmaMicawber Posts: 138 Forumite
    edited 10 July 2019 at 4:11PM
    Options
    Thanks for your support Dancing! Well, the MOT was VERY bad news- it cost over £600 in repairs to get it through! And there weren't even any advisories on it last year. What a nightmare- this will unfortunately mess up my budgeting but there's nothing much I can do about it- we need two cars. At least I could pay for it without going overdrawn as my emergency fund was at £1000..
  • EmmaMicawber
    Options
    I've just realised that my last few posts sound like a catalogue of disasters- not very inspiring! I'll think of something positive to post next time :)
  • DancingInTheRain
    Options
    Oh no to the repair costs :( I'd say it's a big positive that your EF was there to resolve this problem though :)
  • EmmaMicawber
    edited 25 July 2019 at 11:51AM
    Options
    Thanks Dancing- that's a good way of looking at it.
    I'm not sure what we've done to upset the fates up there but our boiler has now stopped working for some reason so we have no hot water at the moment! At least it's happened during a major heatwave and not in the depths of Winter. I'm actually going to manage until after payday next week as we can't afford to have it repaired without going overdrawn this month as I've just used up our emergency fund on the car repairs .
    I know that this has not been a great few weeks for repairs but I don't have that horrible pit-of-the-stomach feeling like I used to as I know it's just a blip and next month will be better. We're running out of major things to go wrong anyway :)
    I'm not working today so I'm going to hunt down some things for ziffit and cash4clothes to offset the inevitable cost and until then can play at being Victorians by boiling water and washing out of basins.
  • EmmaMicawber
    Options
    OH has also applied for a new credit card, which I had hoped we wouldn't ever have to do again but as things are going a bit more slowly than planned this year the 0% will run out on the big card which would mean paying £166 interest per month if we don't move it.
    Although his current 'little' card will allow him to balance transfer, the fee would be 3.9% so nearly £400 whereas the new card would be zero.
    I'm not convinced he'll be accepted for it- his credit score is now 'good' which is a massive improvement on 'very poor' a couple of years ago but still not 'excellent'. I don't actually care about credit scores in the slightest but am just hoping to save a £400 fee and put it towards the debt if we can. OH will close down the existing big card if gets accepted for this new one.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure