Christmas present ideas for boy?

Options
Hi all!

I'm hoping you'll share ideas on what to get my 7-yr-old. In particular, some suggestions on great books for boys would be much appreciated.

As always, his wish list includes things that are way out of my budget (He'd like his very own Scania lorry! lol). Similarly, I'm trying to avoid things that end up in the closet and make their way to the carboot sale within 3 months, so feedback on what toys/games/books have been a big hit would be fab.

Things I've shortlisted:
- Tamagotchi
- Hot Wheels Blast & Crash (currently 1/2 price at Argos)
- Mini diving submarines (kind that use baking soda for fuel)
- Roary the Racing Car Pit Panic game (anyone know it? might be he's out-grown it....??)
- SkyRail 150 pc Rollercoaster set (any views?)
- Scooby Doo PS2 game Night of 1000 Frights
- Spiral Magic (£3.95 @ PrezzyBox)
- Radio-controlled submarine (£12.95 @ Gizoo.co.uk)

<Sigh> Wasn't it easy when they were wee and the crinkle of the wrapping paper was as much fun for them as what was inside?

Thanx.
Still waiting for Dyson to bring out a ride-on hoover...
Memberships:
Bad Alba Mothers Purchase Only Tanqueray

Comments

• spendingmad
    Options
    I have a five year old son who is difficult to buy for (his birthday is end of november so 2 lots of pressies in quick succession)

How about -
    Horrid Henry Annual Book,
    NSECT insect thingy advertised on tv, look on Toysrus website for description but buy on ebay much cheaper!!!
    Lego - boys can never have too much
    Not sure what level his reading is at but have a look at the book people for collections bought some friends kids 10 books for £10

Hope thats abit of help
  • jorose
    jorose Posts: 205 Forumite
    Options
    I have a six year old son and i'm getting him the pitstop panic game too i know he'll love it because he is a big roary fan.
    can i ask where you have seen the diving submarine? that sounds great mine would love that.
    his favourite present last year was a picco z helicopter because his dad fly's the big rc ones.
    http://www.rcheli.co.uk/shop/product_info.php?products_id=369

I can defiantly recommend those it looks so delicate but was actually very robust he bounced it off the walls many a time.

My sons favourite books are the horrid henry books
    :A
    Everytime a bell rings an angel his gets wings
  • Angua2
    Angua2 Posts: 673 Forumite
    Options
    I have a five year old son who is difficult to buy for (his birthday is end of november so 2 lots of pressies in quick succession)

How about -
    Horrid Henry Annual Book,
    NSECT insect thingy advertised on tv, look on Toysrus website for description but buy on ebay much cheaper!!!
    Lego - boys can never have too much
    Not sure what level his reading is at but have a look at the book people for collections bought some friends kids 10 books for £10

Hope thats abit of help

It does - ta! Are all boys Lego orientated? lol And you've hit nail on head: he's a Horrid Henry fan (we really like Miranda Richardson's reading them).
    He's on track to achieve his age/grade appropriate reading level by the end of the year, and although very capable is a lazy reader. One way I've found to push him a bit with his reading is to not read instructions for him, but only help with difficult words (such a mean mum!).

Had a quick look at the Book People site - looks brill. Thanx.

http://www.thebookpeople.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/catalog_10001_10051_100
    Memberships:
  • Angua2
    Options
    jorose wrote: »
    I have a six year old son and i'm getting him the pitstop panic game too i know he'll love it because he is a big roary fan.
    can i ask where you have seen the diving submarine? that sounds great mine would love that.
    his favourite present last year was a picco z helicopter because his dad fly's the big rc ones.
    http://www.rcheli.co.uk/shop/product_info.php?products_id=369

I can defiantly recommend those it looks so delicate but was actually very robust he bounced it off the walls many a time.

My sons favourite books are the horrid henry books

Thank you!

I found the diving submarine here: http://www.mailorderexpress.com/shop2/centres.html

The RC sub is at: http://www.gizoo.co.uk/Products/ToysGames/RadioControl/RCSubmarine.htm

Oh, if anyone's wanting a charming Christmas eve story for boys, we got the Firefighter's Night Before Christmas by Kimbra Cutlip (retelling of the Clement Moore story) and it's become a family holiday must.
    Memberships:
  • rebl43
    rebl43 Posts: 670 Forumite
    Options
    I am only speaking from my own experience here (so people- dont shout me down!) but we have had a couple of the Hot Wheels sets and although they can be quite pricey, they always seem to fall apart and are quite flimsy!
    :smileyhea
    Rachel xx
  • cheekyweegit
    Options
    rebl43 wrote: »
    I am only speaking from my own experience here (so people- dont shout me down!) but we have had a couple of the Hot Wheels sets and although they can be quite pricey, they always seem to fall apart and are quite flimsy!

I second that! With 3 sons I wasn't too impressed with the Hot wheels stuff and wished I'd actually invested in Scalextric. Now there's an idea, it can be expensive, but it's something which can be added to easily enough after the initial spend or if your asked by someone else what your son would like you could ask them to chip in for it.

Action man stuff too is rubbish, as you need hours to assemble it before hand, tonnes of patience and a mountain of superglue to keep it together if the child is actually going to do more than look at it.

Another two things my sons like (as in they still play with it now, well my son who is 13, 14 next week more regulary than the older two) is k'nex and magnetix. You can make some great models with those with the instructions supplied and if your son is artistic himself it's amazing what he will come up with on his own. Both these particularly the k'nex has given my sons hours and hours of fun and much better than a video or dvd as they are letting their imagination run wild and they have to think about what they are doing whilst playing without even realising it.

The son I speak of above is getting a pin ball k'nex set for his Christmas and it looks fantastic.

Metal detectors are pretty good fun too. As for books mine read just about anything, well my middle son that is, check out "The Works" if you have one of those near you as they have some great bargains on books for kids too as well as nick nacks for stockings.

Hope this helps.
  • cookie54
    Options
    there is a new horried henry book out i saw it in whsmith.. it was over 10poundsso i am waiting till next week when i can use my £5 off vochure off book over £10
  • ktflosspot
    Options
    rebl43 wrote: »
    ME TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Got some last year and they didn't last till New Years Eve :eek:
    :AIt matters not how long a stars shines ,what is remembered is the brightness of it's light.
    JAN Battle attacks cars, 3 VIP althletics tickets, fairtrade choccy .... yum

Thanks to all posters xxxx
  • bluenose1
    bluenose1 Posts: 2,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Horrid Henry books got my son reading, before then he wouldn't read without a battle. Then he started reading the Alex Rider mysteries and now reads a lot.

Not sure if there will be any left but I posted about the pyrates stuff being reduced in Argos. They really are good value. http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10001&catalogId=1500000701&langId=-1&searchTerms=mega+bloks+pyrates

I bought the Pyrates Dread Eye's Phantom. The box weighs a ton and was about 3 fy by 2 ft. It lights up and has loads of accessories. Reduced from £19.99 TO £4.99
    Money SPENDING Expert

• Angua2
    Options
    Brill, Bluenose1. We've nearly every Horrid H under the sun, but don't know the Alex Rider or Pyrates Dread stuff.
    Memberships:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family