Diamond rings, why is it so difficult to buy one..

Options

Comments

• lavenderlady
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    I didn't assume you were buying the most expensive ring. ;)
    It was just an example of what Goldsmiths were charging for lesser quality compared to an online supplier.

I could tell which was the older ring immediately, from both the cut of the diamonds and the setting.

Both are really nice.
    But which do you prefer?
    Are they close in price?

They are really nice arent they. I like both of them but for different reasons. I like the top one because it is vintage and I'm a vintage kind of gal and I like the look of the newer one as the cut is really nice.

As for price, well the top one is £550 and the bottom one is platinum and it is £950. What a difference in price to the Goldsmith one. However I'm not comparing on clarity or colour because I don't have that info. I still may go for the Goldsmith one yet though. It has more cuts in it and really did sparkle a lot, also it is a Canadian diamond and the workers there seem to be treated fairly.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    The Goldsmith one does look lovely, especially in the photo of the hand wearing it.
    It seems to have more setting round it than the bottom one in your photo where all you can see from the top is diamonds.

Do you think the Goldsmith one could look more sparkly because of the lighting in the shop?

What do they all look like against your wedding ring?
    Will you wear them together regularly?

How do the 3 look from the side?
    The Goldsmith one looks very simple and elegant.

Is any one set higher than the others?
    Do you think a higher set one may catch on something?

Just a few things to think about.
    It's really exciting, I can understand your dilemma.

Off to cook dinner. :)
  • Blu_Arsenal
    Options
    I think you need to make up your mind on which style you like.
    The fact is when someone likes an old cut diamond set in an antique style band, nothing else will hit the spot.
    If you are still loving the modern style & comparing then you need to keep shopping around until your mind is made up. You'll know when this happens ;) They are so different.

Oh yes, as Pollycat mentioned, the lighting in shops can make the diamonds look AMAZING! So beware.
  • lavenderlady
    Options
    Thanks for the advice guys.

Its true they are different styles but I like all of them. I guess I've just realised I really really like diamonds :) I really want all of them!

Each ring comes with its own reasons for buying. The old one is charming and very cheap - £550 for a carat!

The second one is very sparkly and is actually on a platinum shank so I would be getting a modern style cut ring for way below a normal jewellers price.

The Goldsmiths one is incredibly sparkly but the woman was honest with me and said it is because it is cut with more facets and although it is an I1 clarity, the extra facets hide this and make it look more brilliant and better quality. She also said that their lighting makes it look even sparklier and offered to show me it in natural light. This one is £3250 but on offer at the moment for £2750 as there is 15% off diamond rings.

If I was rich I would walk around with all three rings :T
  • Pollycat
    Options
    Lavenderlady - just have a read of the title of your thread.
    You've gone from finding it hard to buy one diamond ring to wanting three! :D
    Maybe Blu_Arsenal is right and you just haven't found the one yet.

I've had 4 engagement rings :o and every time I knew it was the one I wanted.
  • lavenderlady
    Options
    Lavenderlady - just have a read of the title of your thread.
    You've gone from finding it hard to buy one diamond ring to wanting three! :D
    Maybe Blu_Arsenal is right and you just haven't found the one yet.

I've had 4 engagement rings :o and every time I knew it was the one I wanted.

Ha ha I think i'm addicted to them. I've spent all night just looking at beautiful diamonds!

I am leaning towards the Goldsmith one. The clarity isn't brilliant at I1 but the extra facets built into it will make it sparkle more - Look i'm a diamond expert now! :rotfl:

And topcashback give another 10% so I can't afford not to buy it!
  • Pollycat
    Options
    Ha ha I think i'm addicted to them. I've spent all night just looking at beautiful diamonds!

I am leaning towards the Goldsmith one. The clarity isn't brilliant at I1 but the extra facets built into it will make it sparkle more - Look i'm a diamond expert now! :rotfl:

And topcashback give another 10% so I can't afford not to buy it!
    Ah!
    You are thinking with your heart instead of your head.

OK, the Goldsmith's one is a lot more expensive than the other 2.
    You acknowledge the clarity isn't great but have justified that by reasoning that the cut will disguise that.

I think following your heart is the best way forward.
    You need to look at that ring every day for the rest of your life and think 'It's fab! I love it so much and am so glad I chose it'.

I sort of did a similar thing when we bought our house - new from plan.
    The builder had an arrangement with a fire surround supplier to provide - at the buyer's cost - surrounds.
    We went off to look at them and it was a little terraced house with all the rooms full of fireplaces.
    We were shown plaster ones and wood ones.

'What's in that room?' I asked.
    'Oh, they're marble ones' was the reply.

So, even though it was 3 times the price of the most expensive plaster/wood one, I had my marble surround - mantlepiece, fire back and hearth all matching and we got to choose our own scant.

Almost 25 years on, most days I still look at that fireplace and think 'I'm so glad I chose that'.

Mind you, I'm a gal who can justify anything. ;)
  • lavenderlady
    Options
    Hubby says I must not speak with you any more because you give me ideas :rotfl:

I was speaking with my mother last night and she is an OAP and has all her life gone for the cheaper option... and she said I am the same.. and she is right!

Your fireplace sounds lovely and I can tell how proud you are of it. I wouldn't be proud of either of those second hand rings and even the Goldsmith one wouldn't really excite me knowing i've paid over the odds for an average diamond.

So now i'm on the Samara James website. My dream ring would be one with a GIA certifcate so I know in my head exactly what I paid for. That is important to me. I am also going to look at GIA certificates from other stores but I feel comfortable for the first time!

I'm so glad I wrote on here because I had got myself into a right tizz wondering what to do!
  • Pollycat
    Options
    Tell your hubby he doesn't know the half of it. :D

Here's a sample of my justification from another thread:
    Sharp intake of breath at the price but on second thoughts - given the brand and cashmere - I think I might have been fighting you for that fab bargain. :)

I guess sometimes you just have to consider what an item would have cost brand new (assuming the condition is good).
    I'd guess maybe no change out of £2,000 so to pay maybe 4% (£80) of new price is a bit like paying £3.25 for a Next coat that cost £80.

I can justify anything.
    (My OH's words, not mine). :D
    Of course it does. ;)

I totally flummoxed my old boss who expressed disapproval at the £60 I spent on a leather bag (less than half price in the sale, I might add).

I told him that it was an investment (it was, I still use it 15 years on and love it) and if we looked at total cost of ownership, if I used it 100 times it would have cost me 60p per time.
    However, if I bought a cheap plastic bag for £10, used it half a dozen times and the strap broke, it would have cost me £1.6666 per time.

Therefore, my leather bag was a bargain.

At this point, he expressed his sympathy with my OH and left it at at that. :D

From the 'Charity shop bargain' thread on the Old-style board.
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3859129&highlight=justify&page=289

Come and join us if you're a charity shopper. :)

I'm glad you've crystalised your ideas a bit more.
    I did think the two 2nd ones would be history.

Had a brief look at the SJ website, they do look lovely designs and as you say, the colour and clarity are better.
    I was a bit concerned about the I1 Goldsmith ring but you seemed to love the sparkle.
    Are you still going for a trilogy ring?
  • lavenderlady
    Options
    I think you may be my sister!! :rotfl:

I could have written those posts that you did. And don't get me started on charity shopping.. its the only kind of shopping I do ha ha

I'm fairly certain I shall be going with the Samara James site as they seem the most competitive.

So i've now doubled my budget because as Pollycat says, I just need to justify it and its fine! :T:rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure